bittersweet

TW/CW; repeated mention of self harm in this chapter. 

"Violet we need to go" Nico orders, helping me off the floor and gently holding my hand as we walked back to the motorbike.

"I don't understand," I whisper as he passes me the blue helmet from before.

"It can't be a coincidence that the Riveras and Jay are both in Italy at the same time." Nico mumbles to himself before the motorbike revs and we are flying down the street.

Rivera, why does that sound so familiar? I play the name around in my mind as we speed back home with the wind running through my hair.

"Who are the Riveras?" I ask while Nico parks the bike.

"Hmm" he hums deep in thought.

"Who are the Riveras?" I repeat as he hops off, turning to look at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"In short it was some allies of Dads apart of the Spanish Mafia but one of the daughters of the leader was killed a while ago. They were living in England when the daughter was killed but for the past two years they have been living back in Spain and now for some reason they are in Italy." he paused for a moment as he ran his hand through his hair "they think Dads men were behind the killing."

"Were they? Did Dads men do that?" I asked as I bit the inside of my cheek.

"No. The leader Gus he was one of Dads closet friends, it wasn't any of Dads men. But after Gus Rivera's daughter died he got paranoid and was blaming everybody. The younger son had to take over."

"Could the Riveras be working with Jay?" I whispered my eyes widening as Nico took in a deep breath.

"The Riveras may be blinded by rage but they wouldn't work with him." Nico hisses with anger not even being able to say his cursed name.

"You think he killed her don't you?"I ask as I narrow my eyes.

"There were rumours he did but nobody could track him down. Jay he-" Nico pauses as his eyes soften as he looks towards me.

"He what?" I ask , growing impatient.

"Nothing" he bitterly states. "You need to get to sleep." he huffs as we begin walking through the garage and up the stairs.

"Nico please tell me." I beg as we reach the top of the stairs.

"Violet stop it." he snaps raising his voice. My eyes go wide as I lower my gaze to the floor, quickly nodding my head and rushing to my room.

As I lock my door and lay myself on my bed, I hear Nico sigh loudly as his heavy footsteps walk down the hallway. The sun was still nowhere to be seen as my room was still pitch black.

My eyes grew heavy as I tried to not let his angry outburst ruin the kindness he showed me tonight. But I suppose it was my fault for provoking him.

"Dad?" I called out. I walked further down the dark hallway, I had my arms stretched out as I tried to touch the walls, unable to guide myself through the complete darkness.

"Dad?" I called again, this time louder as panic began to set in, my heart rate picking up.

As I walked further down I noticing a soft glowing light from under the slightly opened door to my left.

"You can take her" My father's voice sounds bitter "She is the reason my wife is dead, she deserves to be abused, it's her fault" he scoffs. I walk closer to the door trying to listen into the conversation, feeling my heart rate pick up as the metallic taste fills my mouth.