the calm before the storm

Violets POV

I awoke to the bright morning sun seeping in through my curtains as the wind whistled loudly from outside. I groaned, annoyed at the fact I woke up, I felt so physically and mentally exhausted i just wanted to sleep forever.I rolled over pulling the blanket over my head.The sudden movement sent a shock of pain as the cuts on my arm came in contact with the blanket,I grimaced slightly before the pain finally grew dull.

I rolled onto my back staring up to the ceiling as I ran my finger along the fading scars on my arms.I didn't want to get out of bed, I didn't want to go through another day and I felt weak for that. I had lived almost my whole life being beaten everyday to the brink of death and I got through that but for some reason the mental tolls those years had on me finally caught up with me. It hurt more knowing my own father knew about me but did nothing than any beating I ever got.

I pulled myself from the safe haven that my bed had become and began getting ready for the day.At least I had school I thought to myself, 7 hours where i'm far away from here.

Finally I finished getting ready, making sure to rewrap the bandages around my arms.I shove my razor into the pocket of my skirt, just in case i needed a release today.They looked red and irritated today, some appeared deeper than others, I should have stitched a few.The bandages made my arms look oddly thicker so I covered up further with a jacket over my long sleeve blouse. I stared in the mirror at my shaking body as I closed my eyes tightly inhaling a deep breath. I knew I had to go downstairs and potentially see my father but I also knew I had to act like everything was okay, like I don't feel a heaviness of betrayal weighing on my heart.

"Everything is fine" I repeated in my mind as I went downstairs.

"Bambina you're awake finally, i was just about to go wake you" Lucien greeted me as i walked into the kitchen.Leo was sitting at the counter eating cereal and scrolling on his phone. He looked away from his phone and smiled.

"How did you sleep, Vi?" Leo asked as I walked over to the kitchen cupboards.

"Uh i slept well thanks, how did you guys sleep?" I answer as I begin searching through the cupboards.

"Did you go to bed late? I swear I could hear your voice and footsteps late last night" Leo titled his head slightly before eating another spoonful.

"Well I could hear your snoring from my room" I tease as I try to stand on my tippy toes to look further into the high cupboards.

"I don't snore that loud"Leo pouts as he playfully crosses his arms.

"Yes you do baby brother" Lucien chuckles as he ruffles Leo's hair causing Leo to roll his eyes. I giggle as i watch Leo try to swat Lucien's hands away

It's small moments like these when I forget how alone I truly am, when I can just laugh and smile and forget the sorrow.

"What are you looking for?" Lucien asks, which pulls me away from my thoughts.

"Just coffee" I announce "I mean if that's okay" I mumble looking down at my shoes.

"You need a proper breakfast,coffee isn't breakfast" Lucien explains.

"I'm not really hungry" I mutter as I twist the rings around on my fingers.

"You really need to have a proper breakfast" Tobias chimes as he walks from the doorway, his black leather shoes clacking on the wooden floor.

"Morning principessa" He states as he kisses the crown of my head.

"Morning" I softly smile back.

Tobias walks over to the stove and pours some coffee into his cup from the kettle looking thing on the stove top.