Chapter 1: This Is Just The Beginning

Trailer above ^

"Bye, mom. Bye, dad." I said as I hugged them both. "Love you." Me and my twin sister, Gabrielle, say, almost in unison.

We head out the door as I swing my back pack on my shoulder and my parents wave. We both get on the bus and arrive to school.

~~~~~~~

Gabby and I both put our stuff in our lockers and head to our first class, language arts.

Our teacher was talking about the something...I wasn't listening. I was distracted from people outside. They looked as if they were scared? Worried? Suddenly the intercom beeps and our principle speaks.

"Everyone stay calm. We are going into 'shelter in place'.

~~~~~~~

Our teacher was worried trying to call someone as the whole class is smushed into one corner and whispering. The intercom kept going off from people getting signed out when suddenlythe intercom calls me and Gabby.

~~~~~~~

I had asked my mom what was happening and she said she wasn't quite sure but she wanted us out of the school if something major was happening. Me and Gabby were sitting on the living room couch when we hear the TV cut out. It went to a blue screen with the word 'Attention' flashing in white letters and a man talking in the background.

"Attention! There has been a disease spreading that causes the dead to rise. The cause of the disease is unknown, but if you're watching this, gather your family, stay inside, lock your doors, gather any food and any weapons you-" he paused and started breathing heavy followed by groans and growls.
"TAKE SHELTER IMIDIA-" he yelled before the TV went black.

Me and Gabrielle looked at each other with fear spread across our faces.

Suddenly our mom burst through her bedroom door.

"(Y/N), Gabby! lock the doors, grab the food from the kitchen, pack some hygiene from the bathroom, and pack your clothes. Not a lot but enough to travel. I'm going to get daddy's guns and the knives from the kitchen." She told us as she grabbed family photos and photo albums from a shelf in the living room and stuffed them into a bag.

"What's happening mom?" Gabbrielle asked her as she locked the front door while I locked the back door.

"And where's dad?" I ask her.

"Nothing. And he went out hunting while you're at school. Just do as I say. Everything'll be fine." Our moms voice was filled with worry.

"Me and my sister grabbed a duffle bag from the hall closet and ran into the kitchen. We shoved every thing that was in the pantry, into the bag and set the bag in the dining room.

"You grab the clothes. Maybe three outfits for each of us. I'll get the hygiene." I told Gabby grabbing two backpacks and handed one to her.

She nodded and ran upstairs. I didn't know what was going on. All I knew is that my dad is out hunting totally clueless of the situation. I grabbed my bag and ran to the bathroom. I packed shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant. You know the basic stuff. When I walked out of the bathroom Gabby and mom were waiting for me.

"I know it may seem scary at first but you guys need to be able to protect yourself. Only use them when you absolutely have to." Our mom handed me and my sister our dads hunting knives and holsters and strapped them to our pants.

My sister seemed a little shocked. I was too but I understood we needed to have them for emergency purposes.

"Let's go." My mom told us picking up the bags and heading for the door.

I stood there in confusion.

"We can't leave dad." I told her. I could tell she was in a hurry.

"We'll find daddy soon but right now we have to leave." Her tone turned from worried to serious.

I had no other choice but to just follow. When we opened the front door there were people walking on the street all sluggish like. A few of them noticed our appearance while we opened the car doors and started heading our way. We scrambled in the car and my mom started driving. She swerved left and right avoiding the people in the road.

"Explanation?" I asked breaking the silence.

My mom sighed and started to talk.
She explained that there was a sickness that makes the dead living- or walking and that their brains are still functioning like humans I guess.

"12 year olds shouldn't be living like this." She ended with a sad tone in her voice.

"Oh." Was all me and Gabby managed to say as I looked out the window.

~~~~~~~

It was now late evening and we probably have been driving for about 3 hours when my mom started freaking out. The car made a slow halt on a road surrounded by trees as the engine puffed.

"Crap! Come on kids we need to go." My mom told us as she pulled out a gun from the bag and grabbed the food and gun bags. Me and my sister grabbed the clothes and hygiene bags and climbed out the back seat. We followed our mom into the woods cautious of our surroundings. Not but a few minutes of walking there is a walking corpse coming at us.

"Mom!" We both yell.

My mom jumped from us yelling and shot the thing in its stomach. It jumped back from impact but didn't go down. She got more worried as it got closer and shot it in its heart. She then shot randomly at it planting a bullet in its skull and it fell. Well now we know.

~~~~~~~

The sun was setting making the sky a beautiful pink/orange color. We kept walking until we reached a cave type thing where the ground hovered over a whole below it with bushes hiding it.

"We'll stay here for the night. You kids get some rest. I'll guard." Mom said sitting at the entrance with a gun in her hand.

Me and gabby laid down next to each other to keep warm. I spent a while just thinking what the world has become until my eye lids start to feel heavy. Before I know it I fell asleep.

Okay so this was just a chapter to like boost you to what's happening. Without giving spoilers...the next chapter is much better I guess and much longer so don't give up on it yet. Tell me what you think of it so far. I'm not THAT good at writing but after reading all these fan fictions I got anxious to start my own. So yeah x3