Chapter 20: One less person and one missing

We were still sitting on the porch. Gabby and Kiara were playing with the small checkerboard.

"This is a young mans life! It's more than a 5 minute conversation." We heard Dale say from inside.

"What do you think they'll do?" I asked Carl.

"They'll probably kill him. And I think Dale is the only one against it." He answered.

I nodded once and then it was silent. I started messing with the ring on my finger.

The door opened and Dale came out without a word. Then it was Daryl, Rick, and Shane heading for the building Randal was in. I rested my head on Carl's shoulder again and he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. He slightly nudged me and motioned me to follow. We started heading toward the barn. And I stopped before we got there.

"Carl I don't want to witness a man being shot or hung."

"You'll eventually have to." Was all he said and started walking again.

I sighed and followed him and we reached the barn door. Rick was holding a gun to Randal's blindfolded head.

Rick looked at us and exchanged glances with Shane and Daryl. Shane walked toward us.

"Are you kidding me what did I say to you?!" He pulled us out by our arms.

"Get your hands off me!" I pulled my arm from his hand.

"Take him away." Rick told Daryl lowering the gun.

Daryl picked up and dragged Randal out of the barn and Shane kicked the barn door and walked off.

~~~~~~~

Rick took us to the tents and everybody stood up waiting for an answer about Randal.

"We're keeping him in custody for now." Rick told them.

I went over to mine, Gabby, and Kiaras tent.

"Carl go with (Y/N). Now." Lori told him and he followed me.

"What happened?" Gabby asked us as her and Kiara had a piece of paper and pencils with a tic-tac-toe board drawn on it.

"We went to the barn as Rick was about to shoot Randal and he resigned from doing it I guess." I answered her sitting cris cross and Carl sitting the same next to me.

"How do you think it-" Gabrielle was cut off by a man's scream.

We all stumbled out of the tent and everyone was panicking.

"What happened!" I called out.

"I don't know!" Rick answered running the direction of the scream in the field and we followed.

Me and Carl ran hand in hand. I could faintly see a walker on top of something or someone. We get closer and I realize it was the Walker that we saw and escaped from at the creek. I was shocked it got out but as we approach it the "thing" it was on I see Dale. His stomach torn open still alive. Rick stabbed the Walker and I stood still in shock. I didn't move. I felt myself getting light headed.

"Car-" I lost balance and fell Carl catching me.

"Go take her inside!" I heard somebody yell.

"Hershel! We need Hershel!" Somebody else yell.

I was sort of walking, still dizzy, with Carl guiding me.

We got to the house and I laid on the couch feeling nauseous. Patricia gave me a glass of water and I took small sips. I was confused. Was Dale actually dying? Was his stomach getting ripped open our fault?

"Carl? What just happened?"

He sighed."I don't even know." He answered and sat down next to me.

We heard ljust a single bullet being shot and I felt tears flood my eyes. Carl put his arm around me and I scooted closer putting my ear on his chest.

~~~~~~~

The next morning we were mourning at Dale's grave.

"From now on we're gonna do it his way. That's how we honor Dale." Rick finished.

I couldn't help but cry. Gabby came and hugged me. We're now down one less person and it was my fault.

~~~~~~~

Me and Carl were sitting on the loft thing of the barn looking into the field.

"It's my fault." Carl spoke up from the silence."I should've shot the thing."

"It's not your fault, Carl. You were getting attacked and I could've stabbed it." I told him.

"I was the one-" he was cut off by someone saying Randal was missing.

We got down and went to the shed they put him in the day before. Everybody was already there and when I looked inside there were bloody hand cuffs and chains.