Chapter 35: On our way back home

"We can't take him back." Rick, Maggie, Daryl, and Glenn were arguing about Merle.

"You're gonna cut Merle loose and take the "last samurai" with us?" Daryl asked Rick pointing to the lady by the truck.

I walk over to her.

"I never did get your name." I said sitting next to her.

She looked over to me then back at the ground.

"Michonne."

"(Y/N)." I told her. After a few seconds of silence I spoke again.

"You said you had gone to the prison to get Rick and the others. Did- did you see a kid about my age? Was he alright?"

"When I told Rick that the four of you were taken, he looked worried... heartbroken I guess." She told me.

I nodded.

I couldn't wait to get back to the prison and see him again. We got up and headed over to the truck as Daryl went with Merle and started walking.

"He's leaving?" I asked nobody in particular.

"He said if Merle wasn't going he wasn't." Rick told me putting Maggie's gun in the trunk.

"Oh." Was all I managed to say looking at him and Merle walking in the opposite direction.

I opened the car door and climbed in the back seat. They all got in and Rick started driving.

~~~~~~~

There was a truck in the middle of the street causing us to have to stop and move it. Me and Michonne stayed in the car as Glenn, Rick, and Maggie went out. We sat there in silence. I look out the window and Rick and Glenn are yelling at each other. I sighed and looked at my hands in my lap. I just wanted to get back to the prison and not have to worry much about everything.

~~~~~~~

We started driving back to the prison after they pushed the truck out of the road. The second I saw the gates to the prison I jumped up placing my hand on the door handle ready to open it as soon as we stopped. As I did that the others laughed a bit at my excitement. I saw Carol open the first gate as we drove in and stopped. I jumped out of the car and ran to Carl. I jumped in his arms to hug him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I'm not letting you leave again. I'm not letting go." He told me as he wrapped his arms around me.

We stayed like that for a few more seconds and we pulled away and he kissed my cheek.

"Where's Daryl?" Carol asked worried as Rick told Maggie to drive the truck up to the prison.

"It's okay. He's alive. He ran into his brother... They went off." Rick told her.

"He left?" She started slightly tearing up. "Is he coming back?" I looked at my feet knowing that he most likely won't. She sighed and started heading for the prison and we followed.

"What about Oscar?" Carl asked me.

"He didn't make it." I said quietly.

He nodded once and went to close the second gate. He came back and intertwined his fingers with mine as we started walking back to the prison.

~~~~~~~

Me and Carl sat on a table staring at the new comers. They had come while we were gone.

"Are you two siblings?" A man with a beanie asked us.

We both looked at each other with a disgusted face.

"Ew. No. Unless I was dating my older brother." I told them with a small fake laugh.

I heard the door open and Rick and Hershel came in. We followed them to the cells and Carl locked the door so the people couldn't come in. You know in case they tried something.

~~~~~~~

Me and Carl were sitting on the stairs, hand in hand and my head on his shoulder.

"What happened to Gabby?" He asked me from the silence.

I sighed and looked at the ground. "She betrayed us."

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." He told me.

"No. No. It's fine." I paused. "Well... We ran into our father. Turns out he was the governor of that town we were taken to. He said he was able to keep us safe. More safe than this group. She believed that and sided with him."

"But you didn't. Why?" He asked me.

"No matter how safe that town is, no matter how strong the walls are, I trust you guys more than my own father... well my sister too now. You guys were our first group that has kept us alive for this long ever since this all started and he tried to convince us otherwise... I also didn't take his side cause I wouldn't see you again." I smiled up at him.

He smiled back and kissed my lips.

"I'm glad you didn't..." I put my head back on his shoulder and he rested his head on mine."But now she's a threat."