Chapter 2: Camp

Just a quick reminder this is a xreader so here's some abbreviations that'll be in this if you don't know what they mean:
(Y/N)=Your Name
(H/C)=Hair Color
(E/C)=Eye Color
(H/L)=Hair Length
(H/T)=Hair Type
(F/C)=Favorite Color

:3

"(Y/N). Wake up." I felt someone shake my shoulder. I open one eye and saw gabby. "We're going."

I sighed as I sat up and stretched. I got up and grabbed the bags.

"There were only a few things walking past but they didn't notice." Mom said walking through the woods and stepping over rocks as we followed.

~~~~~~~~

We had only walked for about 15 minutes.

"Mom can we rest. My legs are getting tired."

"Yeah, but just for a second. We have to keep moving." Mom answered Gabrielle as she sat on a stump and me and Gabby sat on a log maybe 12 feet away from her.

I had no idea what we would do when we get out of the city. I don't know where my father is. I don't know where my friends are. I looked down at my 'BFF' mood ring as I thought of my friend, Gwyn. It was really cheap but I loved it just because it was from her. I don't even know why I'm bringing up memories they're probably all dead. Just the thought of that brought tears to my eyes.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I hear a shriek followed by Gabby screaming.

"Mom!"

When I look up there is a dead, smelly, corpse taking a bite out of my mom's upper arm.

I gripped my knife in its holster, but stood there in shock. My emotions were telling me to do something, but my brain was telling me to just let it go and don't do anything.

Mom shot the its head and both bodies fell to the ground.

Me and gabby both run and drop on our knees next to her body.

"Mom?" I whimper trying not to let all the tears out of my eyes.

"It's okay kids. Just go." Her voice quiet, comforting and hoarse at the same time.

"But we can't survive on our own." Gabrielle choked.

"Just leave me. I love you kids and you need to survive." She paused to cough. "Go find somewhere safe. Take the supplies and go." She coughed again more roughly this time. Her skin already turning pale.

"What?! No! I can't leave you! This is my fault. I stood there and did nothing while you where getting bit!" At this point I had tears running down my cheeks. "You don't deserve to die."

"I'll.....be fine..." She trailed off closing her eyes her head dropping to the side.

"No. No! NO! Mom!" There were dead things coming at us, but I didn't move from my mom's dying body.

"Come on (Y/N). We have to go they're coming!" Gabby sobbed grabbing my arm.

I got up. We grabbed the clothes, weapons, and food bags. We couldn't carry anything else without it slowing us down. We started running in a random direction. Not looking back. Wherever our legs were taking us. The wind stinging my cheeks. I was still crying.

~~~~~~~

It's been a week now, I think and all we've been doing is walking. Whenever a thing got close we ran. We would switch taking guard in bushes for the other one to sleep. We've been very careful about not eating too much of the food or drinking too much of the water.

It was probably about 11 in the morning and as you probably guessed we were walking.

"Where do you think dad is?" Gabrielle asked out of nowhere.

"I don't know and I don't want to talk about it." I answered her trying not to sound rude but still sounding that way.

"Well what do you thin-"

"Who are you?" Gabby was interrupted.

Me and Gabby stop dead in our tracks and jolt our heads up to a man pointing a crossbow at us. (Bet you thought their dad was Daryl...nope :3)

Fear rose up inside me.

"Who are you?" He repeated more intimidating this time.

Me and Gabby both exchange glances and look back at the guy.

"Uh... I'm Gabrielle and this I-is my twin (sister/brother) (Y/N)." She stuttered.

The man looked at me then looked at Gabrielle and sighed putting his crossbow down.

"Come on." He turned around and started walking.

Me and Gabby stayed still.

He turned back around.

"Do you want a safe place to stay or not?" He stood there as if he didn't care if we came or not 'but I know he did. I could tell by the way he spoke. He's probably one of those guys who are all big and tough in a serious situation but can also be a really nice person.

I hesitated at first but then just decided to follow. (I know I know the whole cliché 'Daryl finds you in the woods and takes you back to camp' thing but he always seems to be in the woods hunting so yeah :p)

"And you guys look nothing alike." He told us not taking his eyes off from what was in front of him with me and Gabby on either side of him.

It was true Gabby had a more rounded face and thinner nose. Also darker and longer hair than mine.

"I'm Daryl." He said still looking in front of him.

"You said you had a place for us to stay?" Gabby asked him.

"Yep. It's right- here." He pulled back some bushes revealing tents, an RV and the biggest thing... survivors.

So this chapter was originally like twice as long as this but I decided to cut it in half and publish the next half tonight so yeah look out for that :3