Chapter 17: Well... We found Sophia

We all got in a position and started shooting them. Me, Kiara, Gabby, Rick, Shane, Glenn, T-Dog, Andrea, and Daryl. I missed one and hit his shoulder. I shot again and killed it. I shot another and hit its forehead. I know Hershel didn't want them killed but it was just safer if they were dead. I hit another ones ear then it's eye. Everybody was shooting them until they all lay on the ground dead. I sighed and lowered my gun. I looked over at Gabby. I was about to walk back until I hear a faint growl. I look back at the barn and there, was Sophia. Her left shoulder bitten. I stood there in shock. Carol was crying and calling her name out. I started to feel tears flood my eyes. She walked slowly toward us. I heard Gabby and Carol crying. Tears dressed my cheeks. How could this world do something like this to an innocent girl. All that searching and looking for her was pointless she was dead in that barn the whole time and we didn't even know. I turned my head away not wanting to look. I held my gun behind me and shot. I heard a body fall to the ground and I ran to the house.

~~~~~~~

I sat on the couch with my head in my hand and my elbow on the arm of the couch.

"Are you okay?" I heard Carl's voice from across the room.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I told him and sniffed as he walked over and sat next to me." It's just that we've been looking for a girl, a friend, that's been dead the whole time."

"I know. But there will be terrible times in life that will make you fall, but if you don't get back up, you won't find the great things in life." His words touched me.

"Thank you." I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him.

He sat there for a moment then hugged me back.

"Anytime." He replied. I pulled away, smiled and he smiled back.

~~~~~~~

It was late and we were at the table eating dinner. Me next to Carl. Gabby next to me. And Kiara next to her. Rick and Glenn went to go find Hershel and still weren't back yet.

"I'll go get Lori." Carol piped up after placing the rolls on the table and heading for the other room.

"Oh, she's not in there." Maggie told her.

"Where is she?" Dale asked and everybody was silent.

"Carl when's the last time you saw your mom?" Shane asked him putting down his fork.

"This afternoon." He answered

"She was worried about Rick. Asked me to look in on Carl." Andrea told Shane.

"She went after them?" I asked her.

"I don't know." She answered. People started getting up from the table including me.

"Everybody don't panic. She's probably around here somewhere." Shane told us.

~~~~~~~

"She's not in the barn." T-Fog said walking toward us.

"Well where is she?" Carl asked him.

Carol came running up. "She asked Daryl to go into town. Must've gone herself."

I looked at Carl and he looked like he was about to cry but holding it all back. I held his hand and gave him an assuring look. He pulled away and ran off.

I looked back at the group. Dale nodded once motioning me to go and I ran after him.

"Carl!" I called out. I heard the screeching of tires and looked back and saw one of our trucks driving off with Shane probably inside. I looked back and Carl was gone. I ran in the direction he was going and ended up at the side of the house. I walked along side the wall and there were quiet sobs that got louder and louder. I peeked around the corner and Carl was sitting there with his head in his knees. I slowly walked up and sat beside him.

"It's going to be okay, Carl." I told him.

"No it's not." He kept his head in his knees.

"You don't know that."

"You don't either."

"You're right, I don't know. But you can't mourn until you know for sure. And I still believe your parents will come back...and, not in the... dead wa- I'm probably not helping. Sorry." I got up and started heading back to the group.

When I got about halfway I saw Shane drive up and step out with Lori.

"She was in a car accident." Shane told us.

"They're not back yet?" She asked.

"Look Lori I had to get you back here. I had to keep the baby safe." Shane told her.

"You're having a baby?" Carl made me jump when he walked from behind me. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Lori stuttered and everyone was silent.

"Come on let's make sure you're all right." Dale said as he was leading her up to the house.