Chapter 24: Safe for now.

The Wailing Jenny's- The Parting Glass (don't play till I say :3)

I had no clue how long it's been. It could have been 2 years for all I know. But if I had to guess it's probably been 6 months to a year and I'm 13? Gabrielle already figured out what had happened to Kiara. Ricks gotten just a a little bit crazier and tougher. Lori is getting closer to having the baby. Everything was going okay but not well.

Me, Carl, Rick, Daryl and T-Dog bust through the house doors shooting the few walkers in the main hall. Carl motioned me to follow and we made it to the kitchen cautiously while the men scoped the rest of the house. Carl opened a storage room door and shot a walker that was inside. We went back into the kitchen checking cabinets and drawers. All there was were empty tuna and soup cans. We heard Rick whistle from the other room signaling the others to come in. I opened a small cabinet and saw two cans of dog food. I sighed. If this is what surviving is then it's better than nothing.

"Psst" I got Carl's attention and tossed the cans to him and kept looking.

Not finding anything else we went to the living room where everyone was sitting in silence. I grabbed a can opener and handed it to Carl. He started opening one of the cans when Rick took it. He looked at it for a few seconds, threw it in the fireplace and sighed. I looked out the window and saw about 10 to 15 walkers heading our way.

"Guys." I said and pointed to the window and we started hurrying out of the house.

We got in the vehicles and started driving.

~~~~~~~

We stopped on a road and everybody got out. Gabrielle stayed with Lori in the car to help her if she needed anything. The others pulled out a map and started discussing where we were going while me Carl and Beth were kind of keeping watch. Rick and Daryl told the group they were going to check the area a little bit and they went off.

"When do you think we'll find a place to actually settle down and not keep moving every day?" I ask Carl.

"I don't know. But I don't think we can do it much longer." He answered.

"Carl, (Y/N)." We hear our names being called and Rick and Daryl were back. They apparently found something.

~~~~~~~

A prison. They found...a prison. The only downside is that inmate walkers were all in the front yard.

Rick cut the gate with wire cutters while we stabbed nearby walkers and we got through the first gate. We ran around to the front next to a tower. Walkers were trying to push on the gate when they notice our presence.

I looked past the yard at an open gate.

"I think if we can find a way to get that gate closed we can prevent others from getting in the yard then we can pick off these bastards." I told them stabbing one of the walkers through the fence.

"I'll shut the gate. You guys cover me." Carl told us.

"Carl I'm not letting you do that. That's a suicide run." I scoffed. I knew he wanted to be the hero and impress me but going off in a situation where you could possibly die isn't the way to do it.

"I got it. Glenn, Maggie, t-dog and Beth get as many as you can and draw them over there. Get them through the fence. Daryl go back to the other tower. Carol you've become a pretty good shot. But take your time we don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, (Y/N) and Carl take this tower. And I'll run for the gate." Rick told us and everybody went to do what they were assigned and we went up the stairs of the guard tower.

We got to the top and I tried shooting every walker i saw. Rick got to the gate and shut it "locking" it with two D rings and a chain. He dodged a few walkers and went into the tower he was next to. We all shot the walkers until only one remain. I shot it with the sound of the gunshot ringing in my ears and it fell to the ground. I gave Hershel a high five and gave Carl a hug. We went out of the tower and met up with the others in the middle of the yard.

~~~~~~~

It was late at night and we had rabbit meat cooking on a campfire in the middle of us while Daryl stood guard and Rick walked the fence.

"Here you can have my serving." Gabrielle tried giving her plate to Lori.

"No, Hun you need to eat too."

"I'm looking out for the baby, not myself."

"I'll just share mine with her. Take it." I told Lori. She sighed and took the plate knowing we were too stubborn to let it go.

"Tomorrow we can pull all the bodies together and keep the others away from the water. If we dig a canal under the fence we'll have plenty of fresh water." T-Dog told us.

"If the soil is good we can plant some seed and grow ourselves some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." Hershel stated.

Carol got up to give food to Daryl.

"Beth, can you sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't herd that since your mother was alive." Hershel told her.

"Daddy, not that one please." Maggie pleaded.

"How about parting glass?"

"No one wants to hear." Beth told him.

"Why not?" I ask her with a small smile.

"Okay." She answered and started singing.

Now play the song :3

"Of all the money that e'er I spent. I spent it in good company and all the harm that e'er I've done alas it was to none but me and all I've done for want of wit to memory now I can't recall."

I was sitting on Carl's lap with my legs to the side and ear to his shoulder.

"Carl?" I whispered trying not to disrespect Beth.

"Yeah?" He whispered back.

"I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"That the prison will turn into our last camp, or CDC, or even Hershel's farm." I answered looking up at him.

"Don't worry. We're safe for now." He answered and pecked my lips.

I smiled and looked at the mood ring I had on my finger and listened to Beth and Maggie sing.

"Good wish me one more day to stay, but since it falls onto my lot that I should rise and you should not. I'll gently rise and I'll softly call goodnight and joy be with you all, goodnight and joy be with you all."