15. Shock One After the Other

Shups, I love you Dear.. I know It's pretty early but a Very Happy Birthday to You, my dear.

I hope you're happy and safe there, with my lots and lots of love and wishes....

***

"There is only one kind of shock worse than the totally unexpected: the expected for which one has refused to prepare."

― Mary Renault, The Charioteer

***

Jeremy Renner  as Brandon Craig

Previously in Someone's Forever

[Old Pain, New Wound]

Niera's POV

"Hmm... How about you call me Aunt Bambi?" I suggested and the gleeful smile spread on her face was my reward. She hugs me tight but cautious enough not to touch the wound.

Behind her, Jerry is smiling. But his expressions are very deep; his eyes met mine while mine carry a hesitation over my decision, his eyes carrying something deep and intense. Patting my head with affection, he mouthed thank you. His eyes a bit glassy.

"Aunt Bambi, we'll meet soon. You take medicines and take care. Bye!" she shifted back to Jerry while waving. "Yes, I'll princess, you too take care." I waved back while smiling.

"NO!! Sorry, we can't use this title as endearment." Jerry injected, his content face is now tense.

Frowning, I agreed, "Okay."

"Tiger!!" Tiara piped in. "Can she call me, Tiger? No one calls me this now." She pleaded to Jerry while kissing his cheek.

In return, he just nodded grimace.

Kissing her head, we bid goodbye.

Locking the door, I looked around at my once again empty room. Sighing, I cleaned the bed then settled with the laptop.

Glancing at the screen, the time is around 11:00, let's just get buried in work and wait for Jason's call.

There is an unsettling feeling rising in me, at once for Jason and his text message.

It's typical Jason, he worries on everything. It's his habit.. Perhaps my subconscious is right.

But more than it is about Maa. Her constant procrastination on her appointments and neglecting her health are serious issues. Sighing deeply, I lean back on the headboard using my special pillow as support.

Call her... talk to her at least.... My mind suggesting a simple solution but my heart seems to cower away, disagreeing with each heartbeat.

No, nope. Let's talk tomorrow; it's already too much for today.

Throwing away the thoughts in deep well, I tried to concentrate on work. The soft copies of files of the deals under me are open on my laptop screen. Perhaps, it is about the project we were working on, I was in charge of. Must be about it. Let's hope he call me soon and discuss.

I let my thoughts wander around for a while, opening my mails. The same anonymous mail catch my eye, opening it again, I read the message.

Creepy....

Shutting the mails, I sat aside my laptop and start to wander my eyes around. My gaze met the draping curtains hiding the mysterious omnipresent A V behind them.