36~ Never Knew I Needed

I don't think I had been this nervous since I opened my letter from F.I.T, but here I am, about to meet my boyfriend's parents for dinner, as his girlfriend for the first time. 

"You alright?" he asked me as he parked the car. I looked up at him and nodded.

"Yeah, why?" I asked back.

"Because you were the silent the entire ride and haven't stopped bouncing your knee since I picked you up." he replied. I then noticed my knee was shaking rapidly.

"Oh, sorry." I said.

"For what?"

"I don't know...I just feel like I'm...you know..."

"Like your back in the foster system, right?" it's like this guy can read me or something.

"They would make us look real nice, tell us what to say to make the hopeful parents like us. It was like going on trial; and when they turned you down, it was like they were telling you...you weren't worth the trouble. And because I'm not like...Emma Roberts or anything...I feel like I'm on trial again." I explained. Sebastian took my hand and squeezed it tight.

"I think...whether you look like Emma Roberts, Kayley Cuoco or Mila Kunis or not, to me you're the prettiest girl in Ohio." he said with a smile. I snickered.

"Are you just trying to boost my confidence so I'll feel better about having dinner with your parents?" I asked him.

"Depends, is it working?" he asked.

"A little,"

"Then yes." he said. 

"Oh wow, Captain Cornball." I said and undid my seatbelt.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Absolutely not, but let's do this." I replied. We jumped out of the car and went up to his house, then ten seconds later, the door opened before Sebastian could even knock. There was a woman at the door, with mousey brown hair up in a tight bun, with thin rimmed glasses perched on her nose, and a warm smile on her face.

"Sweetie, it's so good to see you again." she said and gave him a kiss.

"Hi mom, and this is Reese." he said.

"Hi Reese, I'm Lenore." she said and gave me a hug...surprisingly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you ma'am." I replied.

"Come on in guys." she said and let us in. I was confident so far, until the father came into view. He was sitting at the dinner table and reading the newspaper.

"Richard, your son is home...and he brought his girlfriend with him." Lenore said to him. 'Richard' looked up from his paper, huffed, and stood up. So this was the state attorney he supposedly threatened me with.

"Richard Smythe, pleasure to meet you...?"

"Reese Lavek." I said and shook his hand. He gave me a confused look.

"Reese? Like Reese Witherspoon?" he asked. I'm not actress.

"Yeah but...I'm not a very good actress." I joked. Richard wasn't laughing.

"Right..." was all he said and sat back down.

"Well have a seat you two, I'm serving up dinner right now." Lenore said and went into the kitchen. Sebastian pulled out a chair for me to sit, then took the other chair next to me. Lenore came back with a dish of something colorful, with steam rising out from the top.

"Sebastian told me how your such a wonderful cook Reese, and I hope my casserole lives up to your standards." she said. I couldn't believe it, Lenore was such a doll, and Richard was the complete opposite.