38~ Slow Dancing with Girls

I don't know what's sadder, having the bride ditch the altar? Or having a reception without a bride to celebrate with? It all just seems pathetic to me. And what's worse? Ms. Pilsbury's younger second cousins who aren't very attractive keep coming up to me and flirting with me. Not exactly my cup of tea.

"You look as pumped as the road runner in the Looney Tune cartoons who took a large dose of cocaine and is stoned out of his mind." Kurt came up to me with two glasses of wine in his hands. "An awful glass of Amarone?" he asked. I gladly took the glass from him, I seriously needed a drink.

"Don't mind if I do." I said and took a sip. Ugh, he was right, this wine was awful.

"That bad huh?" he asked as he saw me gag.

"It tastes like someone dipped their feet in it." I replied.

"Well here's the first toast to a 'spectacular' wedding. Now, tell Dr. Hummel why you look like someone ran over your puppy?" he asked.

"I don't have a puppy." I said.

"It's a metaphor sweetie. What's wrong?" he asked.

"Look around, what do you see?" I asked.

"Well, there's a drunk fat man who's trying to make out with an ice sculpture of Princess Diana." he said, which made me laugh.

"No, I mean look around you! Everybody here has like a boyfriend or a girlfriend or a spouse or...or some kind of date. It's just kind of depressing. You're at a wedding, celebrating the day of love while you're single." I replied.

"Well, look at what Mandy Hale said: “Single” is an opportunity to live life on your own terms and not apologize." he said.

"Whose Mandy Hale?" I asked.

"The most popular single woman on the planet." he replied.

"That's sad." 

"Whatever, but you should take her advice. Read some of her books, they're very good." he said and sipped his wine.

"You've read her books? About being single and proud?" I asked.

"I'm a gay man who just got out of a messy break-up, and besides, I need a reading pleasure when I go to the bathroom." he replied.

"TMI darlin', TMI." I sang.

"Don't care. But the point is, you're a hot, sexy woman, living in New York with an ambitious attitude and stomps on anyone who gets in your way. You should branch yourself out there, find a man. Rachel did, I did." he said.

"Oh please, Brody is a manufactured wannabe doll that looks like he was brought to life by Barbie scientists, and no offence Kurtis," 

"Don't call me Kurtis."

"But Adam is a bit of a blank slate." I said. Kurt scoffed.

"What do you mean? Blank slate?" he asked.

"Blank slate: he's boring." I replied while sipping my wine.

"How so?" he asked.

"We had an hour long conversation about the world as a stage." I said.

"So?"

"It was so dumb. He then asked me: if the world is a stage, then where does the audience sit? Really? It's a metaphor. You find that attractive?" I said.

"You know, I've noticed over the past few months that you've been bagging both my boyfriend and Rachel's. Why?" he asked.

"I'm just one of those girls who doesn't adapt very easily to change." I replied.

"That's funny, coming from a foster kid." he said.

"Don't you dare pull the foster card on me Hummel, I'll beat you down in front of everybody here, right now." I said.

"Alright Reese, down girl, whatever you say. Here's to another crappy Valentine's Day." he said and held up his wine glass.

"Cheers." we clinked glasses and sipped, then he walked away. Brisk, thanks for the pep talk? Weird.

"Well, well, well, what's a beautiful girl like you doing all by herself?" oh no.

"Alright listen dweeb, you better leave me alone before I-oh. What're you doing here?" Sebastian stood behind me, in a suit and tie.

"Well, I got bored of just sitting in my room and playing Call of Duty, then Thad phoned me and asked if I wanted to join him and some of the other Warblers at Scandal or all ages night. They were having a karaoke theme or whatever. But then I leveraged myself between going to a club where everybody knows me and sit through a drawling karaoke night with my friends, or go to a wedding with my girlfriend where nobody wants me around. Obvious choice." he replied. 

"Well, this is very risky of you. Someone might catch you here." I said.

"A small price to pay afterwards. Let's dance." he replied, then took my hand and led me onto a small, not very crowded part of the dance floor. His arms wrapped around my waist, mine around his neck, and we started dancing to a slow song.

"I noticed something earlier, when I got here. I saw you line up for that bouquet catch, which was for all the single ladies. But you're definetely not a single lady." he said.

"According to you and I, I'm not. According to everybody else, not so much. I'm just trying to keep my cover." I replied.

"Covers...right. Although, maybe we could blow our covers later." he said.

"Enlighten me?" I asked.

"Your parents are home, my parents are home, we're in this beautiful hotel with these beautiful rooms, at this amazing party. I suggest we have a few drinks, then we go up to a room and...occupy ourselves." he replied with a sly grin.

"Is all and everything about sex and romance with you?" I asked.

"That, along with keeping my grades and making my beautiful girlfriend happy." he replied.

"Really? Well, you know what would make me really happy?" I asked.

"What?" 

"To dance with me at this somewhat tragic wedding." I said. 

"Whatever you say Betsey Johnson." he replied. I sighed and placed my chin on his shoulder, and I felt his arms tighten and pull me into his chest.

"You know, I've never slow danced with a girl before." he said. I looked up at him curiously.

"I like it." he added. Good, because I could get used to this.