44~ The Holes I Had to Dig You Out Of

Feeling very satisfied with myself, I came home that night with a skip in my step.

"Hello, hello. Guess who just got a job, tending bar, at the Coyote Ugly saloon down on First Street? This girl!" I beamed. That's a little more money coming inot our hands now. Rachel and Kurt just sat in the living room while staring me down. "Hopefully it works better for me than any of the has-beens who starred in that movie." I added.

"Reese if you'd just take a seat please and join us for a little family loft conversation." Rachel said.

"Okay, serious." I mumbled, then plopped into the arm chair. "What's going on?" I asked.

"We just got off the phone with Brody. Did you confront him at NYADA with a Paula Abdul song?" Kurt asked. Oh here it comes.

"You can't just march in there and like, act all crazy. Okay? We got to school there." Rachel said.

"Noted, and if either of you decided to pull a brilliant musical performance at my school, I would totally be amazed." I replied.

"Why are you going after Brody like this? What has he ever done to you?" she asked.

"Look, alright you may hate me for this, but I'm smart about people. Smarter about them than the both of you combined, that's for sure. You're my family, and family has to protect each other. You have to trust me about this." I replied.

"You're making Brody uncomfortable, Reese. I know that we haven't known him as long as we've known you but he's not what you think he is. He's a good guy." she said.

"You know that for sure? How much do you even know about him?" I asked.

"Enough, enough to know that if my bestfriend doesn't lay off, she's going to have to move out." she replied. Kurt looked at her shocked, I couldn't believe what just came out of her mouth either.

"Woah, Rachel, we didn't discuss having her move out." he said.

"This is getitng out of hand. I'm starting to have no choice here." she replied. I stood up and walked over to her.

"You'd pick your plastic manufactured, hairless boy-toy, over your bestfriend whose had your back for four years?" I asked.

"Plus, she does help pay the rent." Kurt added. Rachel shot him a look.

"I don't care, but I love Brody and we can't be together if you're constantly running back-ground checks on him. I love you like a sister Reese, but this has to stop. Okay? He is not a drug dealer. You are wrong about him!" she snapped at me.

"Like I was wrong about Jesse St. Jackass?" I asked. Sophmore year, when the moron egged her with his entire VA team? Ring a bell anybody? Rachel didn't listen to me then.

"Like I was wrong about you just using Puck to get to Finn? Like I was wrong about Jake Israel just 'wanting an interview' with you? Or how about -- and here's my all time favorite -- trying to sleep with Finn, for a god damn part in a high school theatre production!?" I shouted at her.

"That's all in the past now, it doesn't matter! I don't need you to baby-sit me!" she shouted back.

"Really? You don't? Tell me, since we met, how many holes have I had to dig you out of? How many problems did I solve for you? How many times have I saved your ass from possibly getting kicked out of Glee Club? Or god forbid school? Face it Rachel, you would be in shambles if it weren't for me!" I snapped.

"Ladies...retract the claws." Kurt sang quietly.

"Shut up Kurt!" we both shouted at him

"Look I get that you're trying to make it big in New York. Okay? We all are, but since we got here, you have been acting like a friggin' Primadonna! You're dressing differently, you're acting differently, you're hanging around with a bunch of literal drama queens who don't even bother to remember your name! We don't talk anymore! And if we do, it's about Brody. Everything now is about Brody with you." I said.

"That is not true!" she snapped.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"I'm going to finish watching Moulin Rouge in my room." Kurt took a DVD and ran off.

"Okay tell me, when was the last time we had an hour-long conversation about something that wasn't Brody?" I asked.

"We...well it was...I mean..."

"Ah ha!"

"What do you mean 'Ah ha!'? What's that supposed to mean?" 

"We haven't had a decent conversation in months, it's only Brody. Brody! Brody! Brody! That's all I hear about these days!" I snapped. Rachel sniffled and took a breath.

"I'm keeping your biggest secret to myself, the least you could do for me is give a little back." she said.

"How dare you bring him into this! My secret is different from your situation. I actually got to know the guy first before I started going with him. And I definetely never had a pregnancy scare with him!" I snapped.

"That's just the thing Reese, I'm happy for you. Why can't you be happy for me?" she asked.

"I'm trying Rachel! Okay? I'm really trying so, so hard! But I know there's something funny about Brody! He's not-" before I could finish, her phone started ringing.

"Hold on."

"No give it to me." we started wrestling for her phone, until I snatched it away and answered. "God dammit, I'm trying to talk to you, and the damn phone starts to ring!"

"Reese-!"

"Hello!" I started happily, "this is a recorded announcement, when you hear the tone signal open your window and jump out. PZZZT!" that's how I finished it off, I was full of anger at this point.

"Are you out of your mind? What's wrong with you? Hello?" Rachel grabbed the phone from me and answered.

"Tell 'em to do that too!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, hi Brody." she said. 

"Of course it's Brody!" I snapped. Saw that coming.

"Shh! What was that? No, Reese didn't mean it." she said.

"The hell I didn't!" I shouted.

"Shut up! Come again?...Alright, thanks...I love you too...bye." she hung up and glared at me.

"I don't know what's going on with you Reese, but you need to seroiously get your act together. I don't give a flying hoot that you're trying to look out for me, you're scaring a totally innocent guy who's only guilty of being kind to me, Kurt, Santana, and even you." she said.

"It's an act Rachel! He's pulling you in! I'm trying to get you to understand-"

"That you've gone nuts! You are awful to him! At least he's trying to make friends with you!" she shouted.

"I don't trust him!" 

"I don't care! He's not your boyfriend, he's mine. Why don't you just go lock yourself in your room like you always do and work on some dress or something like." she suggested. That took to heart, I couldn't believe the words that came out of her mouth.

"You know what? Maybe I will. And maybe while i'm in there, I'll be on the market for a new bestfriend." I said and turned around, but I had so much more that I couldn't just leave with.

"Who are you? Who are you, and what the hell did you do to Rachel Berry? Because Rachel Berry is perky, and fun, and sometimes very irritating, but she would never short-change herself for anyone or anything, not even a boy who can't shave because he has no hair. Where is she? Where's that girl? Because whoever you are, standing before me here, you're not Rachel Berry."