24.

Whesh'poppin!

~UrbanGlitter 💓

Monique

"Mom?" I said barely above a whisper.

"Hey honey." She stepped further into the room.

I stared at her in disbelief. I haven't seen her in over three years, and she comes in here like everything is peaches and cream. Hi honey, my ass.

"What? Okay wait a minute," I closed my eyes and took deep breaths in and out running my fingers through my hair, "why are you here? How did you—" I stopped myself and shook my head.

"Ok, calm down. I work here, last week I was told to go check on a patient in room 43B and to my surprise it was you. I asked them what happened and they told me you'd been here in a coma." She stepped closer to my bed and placed her hand on my head.

"Ma please don't, just don't." I said removing her hand.

"Don't what? I'm trying to be here for you, and here you are being your usual stubborn self." She spat.

I blinked at her a few times before laughing.

"My usual stubborn self? Girl bye! Mama you don't know the first thing that's usual about me so please don't go there. And you're trying to be here for me? Why?" I propped my hand under my chin.

"Because you're my daughter that's why."

"No I meant why now."

"Look, can we not talk about this? You're laying in a hospital bed for crying out loud." She said pointing to my bed.

"You don't really care though. And I want to talk about this, so either we talk about this or don't talk at all. Your choice."

"I'm always gonna want to be here for you Nique. Let the past be the past."

"You couldn't have! You kicked me out because I was pregnant! Because I was raped! You told me I was the devil's child and that I should've stayed where I was before you found me." Tears poured from my eyes.

I saw Korie peek in the door but immediately popped back out when he'd heard what I had just said.

Great. I thought to myself

"I was hurt, I was upset with myself that I let that happen to you. I asked God everyday why it had to be my daughter? Why did I have to go through that? You wouldn't understand baby." Her voice shook.

"Why did you have to go through that? What exactly did you go through! I was the one who was raped! I was the one who got pregnant! And I was the one who lost my baby after my own mama put me out and I didn't know how or what to do to care for myself. So I'm sorry if I don't understand what you went through.

She looked down at her feet when Nurse Snider walked back in.

"I'm back with the pain medici—" she stopped when she saw the tears.

"I'll just come back later." Nurse Snider turned to leave.

"No," my mom said as she wiped under her eyes, "I'll go and um, you take care Nique." She walked pass Nurse Snider and closed the door behind her.

I wiped my eyes and tried to sit up higher, I pushed my hair out of my face and sat back.

"Ok sweetie, would you like me to break these in half because they're pretty big."

"Uhhh yes please, and do you mind shifting these pillows a bit, my back is really killing me."

"Sure, and these pain meds should kick in within the next hour and it might make you a little drowsy." She said fixing my pillows.