I Heard You Have Amnesia?

Everyone was discussing where to spend the night today, when Nicola suddenly suggested to us that she knew of an abandoned village nearby.

"I discovered it while coming here. It seems the original villagers have been killed by monsters." Recalling the tragic scene she saw, a very distressed look appeared on her face.

Following her directions, we didn't walk far before seeing a forest path. I suddenly remembered that I had walked this path alone before.

After walking along the path for about ten more minutes, a village with a dozen or so houses soon appeared before everyone's eyes.

Everyone was silent. Being so close to the center of the disaster, it was almost inevitable to be involved.

Of course, the empty village road no longer showed any figures. Occasionally some incomplete corpses could be seen. Many of the houses were completely destroyed, the rest were either half-collapsed or broken with a big hole. However, after turning a bend, we saw a carriage parked by the roadside, and next to it was a relatively intact single-door small courtyard.

The carriage looked very much like the one I had missed before.

"Wow, there are still people here?" Brennan said in surprise.

Before we could speak, one of the two sages inside opened the door. They wore long red robes like Selene's priest robes, only different in color and style. But instead of holding a staff, they had an ornate book hung at their waists.

"Are they from your church?" I whispered to Selene.

"No, they are sages from the Tower. I don't know why they are here either. They are most likely investigating the previous battle too," Selene didn't seem particularly wary.

Before we could speak, one of the sages spoke first:

"Are you all coming to spend the night in this village too?"

"That's right. We'll leave after one night, no ill intentions," Adrian stepped forward to explain our position.

"So you've been to that place too?" The other sage immediately chimed in. "And... you have two angels among you."

I was very surprised because Nicola and I had already hidden our wings, but we were still spotted at a glance. And we all understood what "that place" meant, so Selene was right.

"They are indeed angels, but they don't know the details, so we are investigating too," Adrian glanced back at us and tried his best to defend us, then deliberately changed the topic to them.

"You seem to know more, so can you tell us a little?"

"It's not really a big deal..." The two sages hesitated, seemingly aware they had been led on, then turned and walked back into the room, leaving only a dismissal. "There are many empty houses in this village, so please don't come near this yard."

Adrian shrugged at us. So we could only continue along the road and soon found a small building that looked relatively intact.

Naturally there were no figures inside the house, but it looked clean and tidy, after all not much time had passed since the change.

After deciding to spend the night here, everyone got busy. Brennan and Adrian were responsible for preparing food, while Selene and Vivianne were assigned to go upstairs and clean up the rooms.

I had wanted to help cook too, because I was quite confident in my cooking skills. But when I got to the kitchen, I realized it was a wood-burning stove. I was completely dumbfounded, but the two guys used the excuse that I had a tiring day and we survived only thanks to Nicola and I, so I shouldn't work anymore, to kick me out of the kitchen. From their attitude, I suddenly suspected they were afraid of me helping.