Vol 3/Chapter 67: Detonation Method

"Strange. The teacher tells us to run away immediately if we see the forbidden spell, even though we could make up for the lack of magical defences by releasing light elements externally. Doesn't she know about this method?" Cyra tilted her head, still not quite convinced.

"Or maybe she just didn't know this method?"

"No way. With almost ten thousand years of history, how could angels not know about this? It's just that this method consumes too much of one's light element. Using it carelessly in battle without enough replenishment could lead to even bigger troubles." Nicola scoffed, having experienced the contamination of dark elves through the external release of light elements herself, she understood the direct consequences very clearly.

"So you have to make it explode up close? When are you planning to do it?" I looked at the gas collection sphere in my hand and asked Reed. 80% was quite a high probability, but as long as it's less than 100%, I feel it's still best not to try, after all, it's life and death.

Reed seemed a bit equivocal. She lowered her head in silence for a while, and her next words surprised everyone. "I can't use just compression to do it. I plan to find another opportunity after we get to the outside world..."

"Ha! Didn't you say you were done? How come you still can't detonate it?" Cyra reacted first. She had been looking forward to this day only to get disappointed.

Even I felt it was too lame. So all that talk earlier about resisting nuclear explosions with our physical bodies was just pointless.

"It is complete, just lacking one necessary condition!" Reed explained anxiously, seeing that we were all speaking up.

"Although I've already absorbed as much light element from the surroundings as I can to convert into pressure, it's still far from enough to reach the critical point for detonation, the amount of energy needed increases exponentially. Even if I drained all of Edenmere's light element, it would be useless."

"Then what's your solution?" I understood this point. After all, hydrogen gas is nothing like deuterium and tritium, meeting the conditions for fusion is much more demanding. But since Reed said so, there must be another way to resolve it.

"Temperature, of course." The other replied matter-of-factly.

"The pressure inside this gas collection sphere is already very high, and the internal temperature has also risen a lot due to the increased pressure. But it's still far from enough. So I re-engineered the light element isolation device to absorb external heat..."

As she spoke, Reed took the gas collection sphere from me and opened it to reveal the pure black sphere suspended inside. The black sphere had been compressed to the size of a sesame seed and was barely visible without close observation.

"Usually the light element isolation device reflects external light and absorbs internal light. That's why you see a mirrored surface at the room entrance, and it's pitch black inside. But this black sphere works the opposite - reflecting internally and absorbing externally. Also, by blending in the materialization effect of the Light Shield spell, no energy can escape from the inside. Now we just need to open this collection sphere and throw it into an ultra-high temperature environment, it will massively draw in external energy, and the inside will quickly reach the critical point of high temperature and pressure!"

"By 'ultra-high temperature environment' you just mean fire, right?" Cyra immediately understood after listening, coming over to Reed's side to observe the compressed black sphere in her hand again, and tentatively asking.

"So you mean it will explode if you just throw it into fire?"

"It's not that simple!" This time it was Nicola who answered. She had been working on this experiment together with Reed, so she knew some basics.