Vol 2/Chapter 10: Squandering Money

"How much money exactly did you spend?"

Finally, after she put away the cards, I thought of an important question that had been overlooked just as I was about to start cooking. I stared at her seriously and asked.

"Not a lot..." She immediately averted her eyes when I brought up the spending.

"Be honest!" Feeling something was wrong, I hurriedly turned her head back. "How much did you spend!"

"Not much, just a few hundred silvers..." Nicola reluctantly turned her face to the other side again, but this time finally blurted out a number.

"Exactly how many hundred silvers?"

I felt like my heart was bleeding. A few hundred silvers could be equivalent to doing quite a few low-level tasks. It had been almost half a month since we rented the house, and we had only earned a little over 4,000 silvers total. After paying rent, paying back Adrian and others, daily living expenses, we now had less than 3,000 silvers left.

This took up at least 10%!

But my intuition told me it wasn't that simple, because when she said this, Nicola was still concealing something.

Holding two bird eggs in my hand, I really couldn't rest easy going to cook like this.

"So how many hundred exactly?"

Seeing she didn't answer for half a day, I became anxious and continued pressing her.

"9..." Unable to withstand my interrogation, Nicola reluctantly told the truth.

"998..."

There was a "snap" as an egg fell to the ground, surprisingly not cracking as it rolled to a corner under the bed.

Wind Dancer bird eggs were indeed durable.

"Where did you get so much money?" I finally calmed down from the shock, and suddenly thought that with her daily quests, she only earned less than 300 silvers in an average day. And the remaining portion after daily expenses was usually kept in a layer under her pillow.

Could it be...

Seeing I was about to cry as I went to flip the pillow, Nicola knew she could no longer conceal it, so she quickly confessed her mistake.

"Sorry, it was my fault, I took the money that was under the pillow."

I took out all the money from under the pillow and found there were only a few hundred silvers in total.

"The amount doesn't add up!"

I looked at her puzzled, didn't she say she spent 998? There was almost 3,000 yesterday, how was there only this little left?

"Because..." Seeing this, Nicola smiled awkwardly and slowly took another card out of her pocket, different from the previous one, this time it was an Eight-Winged Angel.

"I also bought one of these..."

"Snap!"

Another egg fell to the ground.

"That's for you liking angels so much!"

"That's for buying cards!"

"That's for buying two of them!"

As if the meat in front of me was Nicola's, I chopped heavily into the leopard meat on the cutting board. I felt like I was about to explode from anger. We had painstakingly saved up money for half a month and most of it was gone in an instant.

I was wrong, I underestimated Nicola, the wealthy young master. I thought she had changed after transmigrating here as her gender changed. But it didn't take long for this guy to reveal her habit of spending money like pouring water.