23. Father to Son

It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us father and son...

***

Zane

I walked into the house still feeling a little dazed. The lights were on and bright. I could hear the TV from the living room, and...upstairs. I furrowed my eyebrows and closed the door behind me. I walked further into the house- into the kitchen. I set my duffel bag down on one of the bar stools and opened the fridge for a bottle of water. The computer in the den was also on and I sighed.

"Dad?" I called out, opening the bottle of water. No answer. I began making my way up the stairs and down the wide hallway to my dad's bedroom. The door was slightly cracked and I knocked twice. The TV was on and I knocked again. "Dad?"

I soon heard deep laughter and I opened the door wider to reveal my father sitting on the couch rested in front of his bed. Of course, his room was gigantic and everything inside was grand- what every mortal dreamed of. We weren't exactly living a life of extreme luxury, but then again...

"Dad?" He was sitting on his couch laughing at some movie that was on the screen. He was wearing normal clothes- jeans and a simple navy blue v-neck. His hair was dark and laid back, almost like he was a teenage boy in the damn 50's. He turned his head to look at me when I entered and drank from my bottle as I stood next to the couch, briefly looking at the Television screen.

"Oh, hey son." He chuckled and patted the seat next to him. "You wanna join your old man?" he asked.

I smiled slightly as I watched my dad laugh again and the lights inside the room flickered. "Um, how long have you been here?" I asked.

He shrugged and looked at the time. "About twenty minutes. I just started this movie and I forgot how funny these things could be." I snickered.

"When's the last time you saw a movie, dad?" I asked. "Oh never mind, by the looks of your hair, I'm gonna go with Grease?" I teased.

"Haha." He answered. "Your training ended almost thirty minutes ago."

"Yeah," I answered lowly remembering how our day went. It was awkward...tense...uncomfortable. It wasn't the best day. Between what I saw earlier this morning with Arden and Hayden, and how we all somehow re-lived that night in the underworld...I wanted nothing more but to go my damn bed and forget about it all.

Watching the look on Arden's face, Hayden's face, my friends' faces....my face as I watched Hayden hurt her. I watched him beat on her, he almost killed her. Yet, I did nothing.

I clenched the bottle in my hand and it began to crunch. I took a deep breath and shook my head. Sometimes I wished I could forget about everything that happened, how I hurt the people I cared about. I wanted to forget it all.