82. Reprisal?

You were better, deeper, I was under your spell, yeah. Like a deadly fever, yeah, babe. On the highway to hell. -Ariana Grande

 -Ariana Grande

***

Arden

My feet hastily continued down the gravel pathway. The sound of my feet hitting the floor repeatedly and the short pants coming from my mouth was the only thing I could hear.

From the vision I just experienced, I had an idea of where Johanna put us. I don't know how, and I'm not sure why, but she put us in our own minds.

The one place that you can't escape- I don't know how I didn't see it before. Your mind contains all concepts and measures of time, something you can't completely change.

I know I wasn't alone in this...maze. Then again, if Johanna had placed us in our own minds- or in the concept of our minds, Why would I be in here with others? Or at least Hayden?

Turning left at the next fork, I continued down the path, keeping my eyes open for anything- anyone.

I lost contact with Hayden when I was presented with the renewal of the very fight of my life, where I was dragged to drown to my death. It put me in a weird mood but I had to focus on what was happening now.

I had to get out of my funk, find Hayden, and figure out a way we could get out of here. "Hayden!" I called out. "Hayden!"

I turned another corner and I literally fell over my feet as I stopped immediately. I tried to stop myself in time but I literally stumbled to my knees as I tried avoiding the beast in front of me.

My eyes widened and my fingers involuntarily clenched the ground beneath me, scraping against it. I reared back as eight large black eyes stared back at me. I felt bile rise up in my throat. I could just vomit, right now.

What. The. Actual. Fuck?

"Young, Athena, we meet again." She couldn't be here. Aspasia couldn't be here. I thought, Didn't Zane get rid of her....about a year ago!? How is she here?! Why is she here?!

My heart banged against my chest nervously and I made a foreign sound at the back of my throat as I stilled. I couldn't move. At all.

The great black and hairy spider in front of me was not the prettiest sight. Her legs and body were covered in straight tiny hairs. Her black and shivering eyes were creepy to look at and her big teeth were shuddering.

"I'd like to finish where we left off..." I didn't like what she said. My body quickly stood, and I scrambled back, watching her cautiously as she began to move forward. "I never had a chance to show you what exactly I'm capable of." Just as she said those words, two of her legs came forward and reached out for my body. I did my best to dodge her, but I felt the grasp around my stomach. I winced at the pain and my eyes shut tightly.