55. Now You See

Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point of view... - Now You See Me 2

(One of my favorite Movies Of All Time)

***

Ace

Although I was anxious to find something- anything that'd help me get Mani back, I remained calm. I tried to as much as possible. I had to. Despite everything literally turning to shit, I had a little hope that we were going to get through this. Starting with stopping Johanna.

Circe's study smelled fresh, and a little like pine. The area smelled of new books and the dust that was collected on all the codexes was floating through the air. It was quiet between the four of us- despite Armani sleeping soundly in the corner.

"Please tell me you guys found something." Camilla groaned as she stood up on one of the shelf-ladders. "This is literally torture."

I laughed deep in my throat. "Not yet, but keep looking," I called out and shoved a book back into its slot on the shelf. I brushed my hands against each other, shaking off the dust. "We're getting close, I can feel it."

In the corner of my eyes, I could see Armani stirring in her sleep. I broke my gaze off her and looked through the semi-large windows in the study. The sun was setting and soon the moon would rise.

I scanned the room and my eyes found Hayden, who was staring down into a book. I made a very hard decision to climb down from this shelf and go to him. Once I did, he looked at me, expectantly, probably wondering what I wanted from him.

"Find anything useful yet?" I asked, raising my eyes at the book he had laid out on the table. Hayden was still looking at me curiously. He always wore a straight face, not showing much emotion, but Arden told me if you look into his eyes you can see what he's feeling.

I wasn't dumb. I wasn't slow. Maybe I didn't catch it at first but as he joined the group, it was almost clear to see. I know he is in love with Armani.

Yeah, it made me angry. It made me upset and I didn't like the fact that he has eyes set on her. But, it's Armani we're talking about. However it happened, I couldn't really blame him. It was Armani. And I also know that Armani loves me, I had nothing to worry about.

"Um, I think I might've found the spell for Camilla." He looked at the book and shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, at least I think I can find it in this book. Either this or that one." He gestured to another book laid on the side and I grabbed it. I silently flipped through the pages before speaking again.

"I know how you feel about her, Hayden," I said lowly, still staring at the book. I could feel his body tense next to me. Hayden peered at me with a cautious expression, like he didn't know what to say. I looked at him and shook my head. I could tell he was conflicted. "It's alright. I'm not mad." I looked back at the book and clicked my tongue. "At least not anymore."

"Listen, Ace," Hayden mumbled next to me. He turned his body to me and I raised an eyebrow. "I-I don't want you to think that I'm...you know despite my previous actions, I would never do that."

"I believe you, dude."

Hayden nodded and I could tell he wanted to say something else. "Plus," He waved his hand. The expression on his face was funny. I've never seen Hayden so...speechless. "I'm trying really hard on move pass all of this. I honestly don't think she would ever...you know return the feelings." He blew out a breath, looking back down into the codex.

I looked up to Armani. Her sleeping figure still sprawled out on the bench. She was snoring soundly and her mouth was slightly agape. I thought about Hayden's words, and I thought about the past few months. I sighed lowly.

"I wouldn't say that's impossible," I muttered under my breath. In my peripheral vision, I could see Hayden look at me and then to Armani.

My eyes stayed on the book laid on the table. My eyes scanning the words, but not comprehending or taking in a single word.

I snapped out of my brief trance and drew my eyebrows together. What the hell?

I blinked making sure I saw what I think I just saw.

Ace

I knew the book didn't have my name in it...could it? I leaned in forward, and then straightened up when I confirmed I was wrong. It was just a normal paragraph explaining some kind of enhancing spell. I flipped the page and continued to scan the words.

Ace, go to sleep.

I blinked once again and shook my head. I narrowed my eyes at the page, confirming that what I saw was real. I held the book closer to my face, bringing it in my hands. What?

I blinked again and the words were replaced with the normal text of the book.

I must be tired. We've been up all day and it's been quite eventful. Maybe I just needed to go to sleep. I shut the book and sighed. After rubbing my eyes I opened them and stumbled.

What the actual hell?

X

My eyes widened. They were everywhere. My mouth fell open as everywhere I looked there were...X's. They were huge and...everywhere. On the walls, the windows, the shelves, the ground, everywhere!

What the hell is going on?! "You okay, dude?" My breathing picked up as I stumbled around the room. I was getting dizzy- too dizzy. My head was spinning and it suddenly felt like everything was turning.

I placed a hand over my head and stumbled a bit more as the X's grew more intense. Everything else in my vision blurred and all I could see were the X's. What's going on- what's happening?

"Whoa, Ace, what's wrong?"

My breathing got shorter and all I could see were the X's. There was a pound in my head that grew and as my visions blurred and my head spun, I felt sick.

The pounding in my head grew and I gritted my teeth. Shit, it hurts. It hurts like hell.

Thump, thump, thump...

The pounding intensified and I couldn't bear the pain. My head was literally being crushed. I screamed with everything I had. All I could do at this moment is scream.

*****
Awkward. I personally enjoy the triangle between Hayden, Ace, and Armani. But now that her memories lost- a lot can happen. 😕

If you liked the chapter please vote- all you do is click the little star. 🙂 And let me know your thoughts, please.

Next chapter, the rest of the group does some searching in an old library where they find something they weren't exactly looking for. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend, munchkins.

Until next time,
-brittany.