81. The Quill

In the darkness, in the middle of the night. In the silence, when there's no one by your side, would you call in the name of love? -Martin Garrix, Bebe Rexha

 In the silence, when there's no one by your side, would you call in the name of love? -Martin Garrix, Bebe Rexha

***

Zane

"Johanna, you need to stop. There's no way you're taking place on Olympus."

"I have to disagree," Johanna looked down briefly before looking back up. She was quiet for a moment- just looking at me. She wasn't saying anything and the expression on her face made my hands fidget. She was too still, too quiet. My jaw ticked in anticipation as I waited for her next move. "You don't understand." She whispered quietly- still staring into my eyes.

There was no urge to shift uncomfortably, no need to be nervous or scared. "Elaborate me, then."

Johanna's lips lifted up only a little, almost in humor, like she wanted to chuckle. "What do you want to know?"

"Where I am?" I wasted no time asking.

"The one place you can't escape-"

"You keep-" My voice started off loud. "You keep saying that but no one knows what the hell you're talking about." My arms tightened as I clenched my fist by my side, trying to control myself. "Cut the bullshit and say what you mean."

Johanna's smile faltered, but only a little. "The events of time- whether past or present, you can't escape it. Change it....maybe but it's something that'll never go away and that's a risk I'm willing to take. You can't escape the painful, joyful or tainted memories. You can't escape your wildest dreams and thoughts- no matter how hard you try....they will haunt you depressingly, lurking in the depths where they rise when you desperately don't want them to."

I stared at Johanna silently, listening to her. I could see the meaning and the emotion in her eyes. It all began to click and briefly looked up and bit my bottom lip.

"Are you meaning to tell me.... I'm in my own mind?"

Johanna didn't answer for a few seconds. "The place that you can't escape...your mind." She iterated. "Your mind contains all of the knowledge and events of time. Time is one thing that is very, very complicated-" Johanna began speaking with both her hands. She was emphasizing her meaning by flinging, clenching, and waving them. Her eyes were becoming wild and she was getting hysterical. She was giving me a stern expression while she ranted. "The slightest alter can change the world drastically and it's something that can not be redone."