47. My Love(s)

What is stronger than the human heart, which shatters over and over and still lives -Rupi Kaur

***

Zane

My fingertips brushed the inside of the envelope. I drew in a breath when I pulled out a pocket watch. It was brow, rusted, and it looked old. The time on the watch was correct, however, it was the continuous ticking that stood out.

"A pocket watch?" Hayden asked. Hayden, Perri, and I stared down at the watch curiously. "There's not a bomb in there, is there?"

Soon, the ticking became louder and louder. It was too familiar and I realized what was going on.

"Oh, we're fucked," Perri cursed right before a blinding light came before us- blocking out our only vision. There was a loud 'DING!'. When I could see again, I immediately checked my surroundings. As I thought, we weren't on the beach anymore. We were back in Green Brook and right in front of me was my house.

What?

I looked around and the street was quiet and simple as it usually is. I furrowed my eyebrows and wondered. Is this a flashback?

Hayden and Perri were by my side and they were also looking around. "Why here?" I heard Hayden ask beside me.

"Zane," There was a female's voice that rang throughout the air and the three of us looked up to the sky, following her sound. It was Johanna.

My fist clenched and released by my side at her voice. "What do you want?" I asked deeply. Anger and frustration began to rise in me.

"Well, I already told you what I want," Jo answered. "Remember?" Her voice was girlish and soft. She chuckled and continued. "I'll admit, I was a little taken off guard with your escape. I didn't know how she did it but now that you all have met Camilla, it just adds another threat to my vision."

"Why'd you bring us here?" Perri asked, referring to our hometown.

"This one is all for you, Zane," Johanna stated simply. I contorted my face in one of confusion. All for me? What does that mean? "I need you to understand why our attachment is so important."

"It's never gonna happen, Jo," I answered.

"But it should. And it will." She replied. I snapped my head when I felt a sudden presence next to me. I stepped away when Johanna was abruptly next to me. Johanna was wearing a plain white dress that ended just above her knees. Her blonde hair and the dress moved along with the wind, which I couldn't feel. She wore a simper on her face. I didn't know what to make of it- it could mean anything. As Johanna stared into my eyes, I gave her a discreet look. "Just allow me to persuade you, darling." She took a step forward and I bit down. She was closer, and I felt a weird disturbance in me.