37. Scandalizing

Surprise is the greatest gift life can grant us...

***

Arden

What-

There was a loud bang and we all flinched. I followed the sound to one of the thick, ugly, gray walls and markings suddenly appeared. They were big and black like someone took a regular brush and stroked them across. However, I wasn't worried about the brushes or the color of the markings, I was worried about the actual markings. They were the same markings we literally just saw written on the stone walls in the Temple of Hephaestus.

"Those are the carvings we just saw," Perri mumbled, realizing the same thing.

"What carvings?" Zane asked. "Where'd you see them?"

"In the temple," Nikki answered. "Does anyone know what they mean?"

I shook my head.

"Ace," The girl spoke up. "Have any ideas?" She chuckled and I quickly looked over to Ace- we all did. His eyes were glowing a bright yellow and he stared at the huge black markings. His mouth was slightly agape and his eyebrows were creased together in anxiousness. I could tell he was anxious.

"Ace, do you know what it says?" Armani asked him quietly as she rested a hand on his shoulder. He was unmoving.

Does he know what it means? Why would the girl think that he does? I've never seen anything like the markings before. I couldn't even relate it to any type of calligraphy.

As I looked at Ace, I saw his lips moving a little. He was mumbling. Armani moved closer to him and tried to hear what he was saying a little better. "What was that?"

"Ace you know exactly what that says." The girl continued. "Say it louder."

Ace gasped as he stepped back and gripped his hair with both hands. Armani stepped back, alarmed. His eyes shone brightly as he grimaced and shouted an incoherent saying.

Ace's deep voice echoed off the walls and they began to crumble. The walls came crashing down at an ear-piercing volume and I covered my ears.

"Everyone, out of the way!" Hayden screamed as we all dodged the broken concrete being crushed and smashed onto the floor.

As the walls came down, my vision blurred and I gasped as my eyes began to feel pain. In an instant, I was in view with the underworld. It wasn't a river or Hades' lair. It was a normal looking room, lined with books and artifacts. It looked like a study but, I would guess more of a library.

Sitting in the middle was Hayden and... me.

I furrowed my eyebrows because I knew it couldn't be a flashback. It couldn't be.