42. Show Yourself

If you're going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty. -Marilyn Monroe

 -Marilyn Monroe

***

Arden

It smelled bad. Almost like creek water, mixed with a pungent odor of raw sewage. I contorted my face as my eyes felt heavy.

"Arden." Someone was calling my name and it sounded too familiar. I groaned and blinked my eyes open. "Arden."

My head was hanging and I saw brown dirt under my feet. I was standing but not really- my hands were brought together above my head and linked together at the wrist. What the-

My body instantly became alert and I jerked. I looked up, seeing my hands chained together and I struggled. "Good, she's awake."

I looked down anxiously to see my friends in the same position I was in. We were positioned in a semi-circle. We were in some kind of...cave...I think. We were all chained up by the wrist attached to some random pipe. Pipe...cave...what...

They were all looking at me, awake and they looked somewhat fed up. What is going on? I felt a sense of anxiousness in my chest. What's happening? How did we get here? I noticed that Camilla was also here, looking quite upset. "Are you okay?" I heard Armani ask me. I nodded my head.

I looked around and the...cave setting we were in was almost dark. Not completely. Down to my left, there was light seeping in from some kind crater. Nikki seemed upset also and I could see she tried to escape the chains wrapped tightly around her hands. There were red marks and a little blood. She hates being bounded. We've been through this before.

My eyes found Zane whose jaw was clenched. I knew he was trying to maintain himself. "You good?" He asked me. I nodded.

"How-What the hell is this?"

"We don't know." He answered. The last thing I remember was the two girls...after seeing Johanna. One of them was chanting, and the other- the other turned into a bird?

"Those girls, they-"

"Yeah, we figured." Ace mumbled. He was next to me. "We've been here for a good thirty minutes."

"Yeah, you were knocked out for a while, shorty." Ali added. He stuck out his lip as he continued to stare at his shoes. I was?

"Well, has anyone tried to escape?" I asked, bringing my eyebrows together.

"We tried everything. We're defenseless here....wherever the hell we are." Perri spoke up.

I turned when Nikki shook her arms violently as she tried to escape. Her nose crunched up in frustration and her hair swinging wildly. She had a cold expression on her face. "Oh, come on!" She shouted when it wouldn't budge.