Cheer Up

New Years. Another year was gone, just like that. 2015 was a crazy ride.

Now, let's reflect on it. I beat Maddie and Kalani. I beat Kenzie, JoJo, and Kendall. We went back to Pittsburgh and back to LA. I won nationals with hip-hop. I also beat Mariella, Scarlett, and Mia. I got a perfect score. I got in a really messy argument with Maddie. I ended up crushing on Liam. I became Abby's favorite and then least favorite. I was diagnosed with PTSD. My first two movies premiered, I was switched in between teams. Brynn arrived, Mom finally stood up to Abby, Maddie filmed her first movie, I had an amazing birthday party. I got stuck in a closet and reflected about my life. Became an amazing dancer, and it all went down the drain when I screwed up my latest solo and made everyone be disappointed and have pity of me.

That was not the way I wanted it to finish like.

After the messy competition, I've tried to avoid dance, which was good since we're in a two week break. I didn't let it all get to me, even though I'm still pretty mad, upset, and disappointed in myself, I've got to keep going. And my friends wanted to help.

Let's just say, Emma loves to set up surprises. So today we were going camping. The five of us. To receive the new year 2016. Even though I do not know how that's going to work with four nine-year-olds and a ten-year-old. Peter was in charge, since he was the ten-year-old I mentioned. Liam was the second in charge, now that he's the oldest of the nine-year-olds. Emma and I would help, but Klara could just chill, since she's the youngest. Finally, somewhere where I'm not the youngest. Only for like three weeks.

"Plans for 2016?" Emma asks as we all sit down.

"Surviving." Klara sarcastically answers.

"Turning ten." I answer, "I mean, two years more until we're allowed to sit in shotgun, am I right?"

"I don't have plans." Liam answers, "I'll probably just make something up."

"What about you, Peter?" Emma says and looks beside her, where there was no one, "Peter?"

He suddenly covers her eyes and we try not to laugh.

"You know, I don't have any ideas either." Peter answers as he sits beside her.

"You guys are boring." Emma says, "Luckily, I have a list of ideas."

"You really have a lot of free time, huh?" I raise my eyebrows as she opens her journal.

"I do." She smiles as she hands me the journal, "Read."

"Uh, getting a pet? Moving to Hawaii? Climbing the Everest?" I read.

"Those are my lifetime achievements." She says, "The next page."

I flip the page and start reading.

"What about the one that says 'Saying I'm Melanie's biggest fan so I get free tickets to her next five movies'?" Klara reads and we all look at her.

"I would try and get one for each one of us." Emma answers, "And I know Mel's going to be in more movies soon."

"Love your optimism." I smile, "I haven't really auditioned for anything else though."

"What about 'Asking Peter to teach me how to do makeup'?" Liam reads.

"The boy does some incredible makeup." Emma answers.

"Incredible's kind of a big word, Em." Peter tells her, "I'm okay with good."

"But good's not enough." Emma stands up, "It's amazing, have you guys seen it?"

"I did." Klara answers.

"Me too." Liam adds.

"I've only seen the photos you've sent me." I say.

"I'll read the next one." Peter says as he takes the journal, "What is this one that says 'Sneaking Klarissa into our classes'?"

"What?" Klara looks at Emma, "Why my sister?"

"Girl is reaaaaaally advanced for her age." Emma says, "I'm sure she could even be on Dance Moms."

"That would be cool." Liam says.

"And weird." I add.

"Next one. 'Throwing Liam a birthday party for his tenth birthday'." Peter reads.

"Why do I always find out about it?" Liam asks.

"Probably because you said 'I don't like surprises'." Emma mocks him, "So yeah."

"That impression was spot on." I comment, causing for everyone to laugh.

"So let's forget about plans." Peter closes the journal, "What did y'all learn from this year?"

"Is this english class now?" Klara asks.

"Probably how a year can feel like an eternity and two weeks at the same time." I answer, "And how much it can change in between."

"The homeschooled child has spoken." Liam announces and smiles at Klara, "So I don't think this is english class."

"How annoying Abby can be." Emma answers.

"Oh my gosh, someone else knows it!" I exclaim.

"How soccer can be more interesting than dance." Liam says, "London's literally having the time of her life and I'm still stuck in the same studio since I was three."

"That's so sad." Klara laughs, "My little sister suffers the same as I do."

"My siblings never get bored." Peter says, "Because they're twins and they love to pull pranks on me."

"And do they dance?" Klara asks.

"Nah, Annabelle does gymnastics and Leonard plays basketball." Peter answers, "Look at me, just like Liam."

"So I would say something about my siblings, but I'm an only child." Emma says, "So I suffer alone."

"Guess what, you'll never believe it." I stand up, "My sisters are dancers just like me, you've never heard of them. It's not like they're Maddie and Kenzie Ziegler."

"You forgot to say that you're the youngest." Liam says.

"Come on!" I yell, "I'm again the one with older siblings?"

"Yes." Emma tells me, "That's just life for you."

We all laugh as I sit down again.

"It's almost midnight." Klara says as we all stand up, "Are we gonna do that?"

"Duh." I smile, "Five!"

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

"Happy new year!"