IX. Standing Up

Trenton, New Jersey

Onest Simmons "Standing Up"

Onest Simmons
"Standing Up"

"Did I really have to come?" I asked, slamming the car door shut.

"First of, don't slam my door muthafucka." My mom cursed at me and I smack my lips.

She always cursing at me like I won't kick her short ass and send her tumbling down route 295.

"It's just a car door ma, relax." I mush her head and she ended up punching me in my arm.

"Imma beat ya ass little boy. Now, let's go cause you know it's the first of the month, so everybody and they momma finna be here." She said and I started walking behind her while rubbing my arm.

Her hit lowkey hurt if I'm being foreal. She may be a five foot four woman, but she hit like a grown ass man. We finally walked in Walmart and I grabbed a cart for her. Looking around the store, it was packed like my mom had said it would be.

People had their food stamps, so they were finna stock up on their shit. And ion blame 'em at all.

"I swear these damn girls don't know what the fuck a food list is." My mom said, shaking her head. I chuckled as she look at the piece of paper she had.

"I swear I didn't know having step kids was going to be so damn difficult." She muttered.

"What they do ma?" I asked leaning on the cart as she put things in it.

She shook her head, "Every damn thing in the book. First of, I told them that since their father and I are now married life was going to changed for them. They weren't going to be doing the shit they use to do with their mom with me. I told them every Sunday we were going to church whether they like it or not. No phones at the table while eating, no lock doors and no having people in my house. You know rules you grew up on."

"So, what they do?"

"Boy, lemme tell you. Jasmine told me straight to my face she didn't have time for me when I went to wake her up for church. So, I tell her she had five minutes before I come back in here to get her. Once I came back, this little girl had the nerve to lock the door. I was banging on that shit and cursing her out. Kids got me fucked up." She answered and I shook my head.

"And what about Sasha?" I asked, she look back at me then scoffed.

"That little girl is grown as fuck. She gonna grow up to be a hoe and I'm sorry to say that." She said.