Darkest Paradise pt. 2

Joe sighed, pulling away from Amelia's lips, "We can't do this."

"Why not?" Amelia asked, moving her face closer to his.

"We're at work," Joe gestured to the office around him.

Amelia pouted, "Can I come over to your place after school?"

Joe shook his head, "No, Amelia, we shouldn't have dated in the first place. Getting back together would just be... wrong."

She frowned, toying with the cuff on her sleeve, "Joe, why'd you break up with me? I just thought it was going so well."

Joe ran a frustrated hand through his hair, "We work together, it just wouldn't work."

"We could at least try," Amelia tried to grab his hand, but Joe moved away.

"I don't want to lead you on. But I'm just not interested in you in that way. You're just a good friend," Joe smiled sadly. "I'm sorry."

Hurt flashed in Amelia's eyes. "What about the three months we dated? Were you interested then?"

Joe hesitated, "I don't know."

Tears sprouted in Amelia's eyes, "You're such a fucking asshole. You have the audacity to lead someone on like that. Is this just a game with you? Is it fun for you to toy with my emotions?"

"Amelia." Joe said desperately. "I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't mean to, I would never intentionally hurt you."

Amelia wiped her eyes, looking away. Joe tried to give her a comforting hug, but she moved away. Sighing, Joe watched as she walked out the office door. It was for the better.
_________________________________

Taylor sat on her couch, her sobs covering the somber music playing from the speaker. Her cat, Olivia, curled up on her lap with a quiet meow. We weren't even dating. It's not like he's cheating on me. But why does it hurt so badly? We're just friends.

Friends that fuck every other day.

Beside her, her phone pinged, and she begrudgingly picked it up to read the text message.

Joe: Do you want to come over to mine, today? I can make some dinner.

Taylor sighed, typing back a short reply. No, I'm tired. It was more blunt than her other messages, but she was too exhausted to care.

Joe: Okay, I'll see you at work trmw?

Taylor tossed her phone on the floor, leaving him on read. Curling up in a small ball, she began to cry again. Her phone vibrated on the carpet, but she ignored it. Why can't things go back to how perfect they were 24 hours ago?
_________________________________

"Essays are due tomorrow," Taylor reminded the class. "You get two points deducted for every week it's late, so make sure it's on time."

The students nodded impatiently, their eyes all glued to the bell that would dismiss them for recess. As soon as it rang, they all rushed for the door, likely all racing for the best spot on the swing set. Sighing, Taylor sat down at her desk. Her eyes were raw from crying, and she'd attempted to cover up her dark circles with loads of concealer.

Taylor looked up as she heard footsteps, and she saw Joe appear in the doorway. The person she wanted to see the least. "Hey," Joe said casually, shutting the door behind him. "Just came to tell you that I'll forward you the plans for the festival."

Taylor nodded, barely acknowledging him. Joe walked behind her chair, leaning against it. "Are you doing okay?" He asked, noticing her change in demeanor.