Babe Pt. 1

"Sir, the new employee comes in today," Mary, the assistant said dutifully.

Joe nodded, lost in his own thoughts. He was going through a divorce with his wife, Jennifer, and he couldn't wait for it to be over. Joe was the one who initiated the divorce, since he just simply wasn't in love with Jennifer anymore after she cheated on him, but he could tell that Jennifer was still clinging onto the hope that he would change his mind.

He stared at the mahogany on his desk, trying to sort out the mess in his mind. "Er, hello," Joe heard a voice come from in front of him.

He looked up, startled. Joe was surprised to see a woman with striking red hair and blue eyes looking back at him. Clearing his throat he finally spoke, "Hi. Are you the new employee?"

Taylor played with the hem of her shirt nervously, "Yeah. Um, your assistant told me to come talk to you so you could give me the files you wanted me to work on?"

"Right, files, right," Joe opened a drawer in his desk, shuffling through papers until he found a yellow file, handing it to Taylor. "There you go. You're going to be in cubicle nine, it's right outside the door and to the left."

"Okay, thank you," Taylor gave a polite nod, before taking the file and walking out of the room quickly. Taylor sat down at her cubicle, adjusting the computer monitor. Her heart was beating at a rapid pace, she didn't expect her boss to look like that. She bit her lip, turning on the new computer. Putting it on an incognito browser, just in case, she typed in 'Joe Alwyn'.

Scrolling through his wikipedia page, she skimmed through the different articles. 'Owner of one of the world's best known phone companies; Alwyn took the world by storm when he started his business at just 18 in London, and is now 33, business booming; at age 29 he got married to Jennifer Nettles, whom he met in college.'

Taylor sighed, closing out the tab. She wasn't really sure what she was expecting to find. Obviously he had to be married, he must have girls fawn over him daily. And even if he wasn't, what did that have to do with her? Shaking the thought out of her head, she opened the files, and began working.

Joe bit his lip, curious about the woman who had just walked into his office. What did Mary say her name was? Taylor? Curiosity getting the better of him, he walked out of his office, towards the front desk.

"Hey Mary, do you still have the resume from the new employee, Taylor?" Joe asked, trying to look as casual as possible.

"Yup, right here," Mary leaned down, shuffling through a few papers to find it. "Here you go."

Joe took the paper, thanking Mary then heading back to his office. Scanning the paper, he read 'Georgetown Law School; Speaks French and English; Worked as a stockbroker for five years before moving to New York from Nashville.' Finding nothing too interesting, he put the resume away. What he really wanted to know is if she was single. Technically he was still married, but it was simply because Jennifer was stalling the divorce process.

Sighing, he went back to work, preparing for a busy day. Once it was lunch break, he decided to drop by Taylor's cubicle, and see how she was doing. Stepping out of his office he walked over to her cubicle, standing there awkwardly until she turned to look up at him.

"Um, I was just wondering how your first day here was going so far," Joe asked, leaning against the wall of her cubicle.

"It's going great, thank you," Taylor smiled slightly at him. "Speaking of, I finished looking through the papers you gave me. I marked them up, here let me give them to you."

Taylor looked around the desk, before taking out the yellow file he had given her this morning, and handing it back to him. "Here you go."

Joe took it from her, "Thanks!"