-9-

-mikey-

"Please put your phone away and have dinner with us," Karen says to Mikey, "I know you're going to run off soon with the guys."

"Sorry, I was texting Hannah. She's going to come over tomorrow and Sunday to prep me for our math test. Is that okay?"

"Of course it is," Karen looks at him stunned before looking at her husband, Daryl.

"Yes, Mike this is great."

"Yeah," Mikey gives a small smile.

"Who is this Hannah girl? I've never heard of her before," Daryl adds, making conversation.

"She moved here three years ago," Mikey says, "That's really all I know. Mum do you know anything about?"

"Hannah who?" Karen asks.

"Willcott."

"Oh Steven Wilcott's daughter? I don't know much about her, she's very quiet," Karen informs before she takes a bite of her peas.

"What do you know about her dad?"

"Steven? Not much. He's a business man. Comes in often for supplies and software, but that's all the interaction we have with him. He invests in a lot of companies. He has offered several times for ours but, I don't know, we don't want to."

"Why?" Mikey asks casually, but he wants to know more about this man.

"Just don't feel right," Daryl says, "He moved here from Sydney and I know he was a huge business man there and got into some trouble with laundering. It was never proven I guess, but there's other nasty rumors about him."

"Like what?" Mikey puts his fork down, soaking in every word from his dad's mouth.

"Oh, those are just terrible furphies," Karen waves her hand.

"What?" Mikey looks between them, hoping one will tell.

"There's just rumors about him offering illegal services to bribe or pay people partnership with him, making him tons of money."

"What kind of illegal stuff?" Mikey sits on the edge of his seat.

"Everything under the sun was mentioned," Karen shakes her head.

"Anything more common than the rest?" Mikey implores.

"No," Daryl chuckles, "It's just all speculation."

"Hmm," Mikey chews his lip before his phone dings; a text from Cal saying they're on their way to get him.

"Michael please eat your food before you leave," Karen sighs.

"I will, Mum," he promises and begins to shovel what's left in his mouth as he gets up to put his plate in the sink.

"And please don't get into any trouble. I smelt that marijuana on you last time and you're still in school."

"We won't get into trouble," he promises again before he kisses her temple and squeezes his dad's shoulder. "Dont wait up!" He hollers as he exits the front just as Ashton pulls up, Calum hanging out the window and laughing like an idiot.

===

A large grumble exits Mikey as his alarm goes off, informing him it's ten thirty on a Saturday and he has to get up. He stumbles to the bathroom to brush his teeth and fix his hair, making it stick out in all directions but cover his forehead. Still half lidded he returns to his room to change his outfit, putting on clean clothes and then tiding his room up. He removes the empty energy drink cans, papers, and magazines from his L-shaped computer desk before getting the fold up stool from his closet for Hannah to use.