-28-

-mikey-

Mikey comes to; his eyes opening to his room in a low glow as the morning sun attempts to sneak in through his curtains. His gaze lands on Hannah; deep in rest. A smile curls on his lips as he looks at her face, so relaxed and peaceful. She lays on her stomach with half her face cradled into his pillow and her arms tucked underneath while her chest flows up and down slowly, but rhythmically.

Her exposed legs show her knee is bent up between them as she rests truly carefree. Normally withdrawn into herself, like she was yesterday during their nap, it makes Mikey swell with pride to see her so comfortable with him. He reaches down to bring the blankets back up over her when the skin on her hip where her shirt has rode up unveils another marking he didn't see last night.

He stares at it, thinking how it looks familiar but can't decide why; like he's seen the shape before. His stomach churns as he remembers a similar bruise on Tannar's inner arm where her father's thumb dug into and dragged down her flesh, leaving behind a blood blister type blemish. He looks at the marking on her hip and his mind tortures him with the image of her faceless father grabbing her so tightly it left a mark like this behind.

His teeth clench and nostrils flare as the vision assaults his mind; wondering how anyone could be so violent or harsh with someone so small and beautiful. Their own child even. He looks back up at her gorgeous serene face and his heart aches at the knowledge he will have to deliver her back to that house of horrors. It kills him to accept that he will be consoling something he can't stop or control. And it severs his heart as he realizes and comes to terms with the fact that he will be in a constant state of worry when she is not with him.

But he will do it. He'll be here waiting to rescue her and heal her. He will be ready and willing to show her true love.

He gets out of bed and brushes his teeth before returning to his room, finding Hannah still in deep rest. He chuckles lightly and allows her to sleep while he quietly gets ready for the day. After he gets dressed he sits at his computer and checks his Facebook for notifications. He messaged several venue locations and has yet to hear from any of them. So he reaches out again, staying hopeful that they respond here soon and they can book more gigs.

Mikey's stomach growls and he checks the time to see that three hours has past and Hannah has yet to awaken. With it being almost noon, he decides to make some Vegemite toast and wake her up. He returns to his room and finds her still sleeping, unmoved even. He sits next to her and tucks her hair behind her ear. She stirs slightly, so he sinks his fingers into her hair and brushes it away from her face, getting a small hum of contentment from her throat.

"G'Day," he says quietly before bending down to kiss her temple.

"Morning," she smiles beautifully and happily before stretching.

"Toast?" Mikey asks her, lifting the plate so she can see the meal he made for her.

"Mikey," she coos, "breakfast in bed? You're the best boyfriend ever."

"Nah," he scrunches up his nose and gives her the plate, "You slept for a long time. It's almost noon."

"Actually?" She says shocked and looks around for a clock to confirm before grabbing her phone. "Oh, god."

"You were really tired," Mikey chuckles and takes a bite of his toast.

"Honestly," she says sitting up next to him, "I usually don't sleep very well."

"What? Why?" Mikey looks at her and she drops her head.

"I wake up a lot," she says quietly before taking a bite of her toast.