-46-

-hannah-

I awake to kisses up my bare arm, then over my neck and up to my cheek. A contented moan hums in my throat as Mikey presses his body to mine. I melt into him, letting his warmth envelope me as I become sleepy again.

"Time to wake up," he whispers in my ear and I shake my head. "My mum made us breakfast."

"Mmmmm," I stretch and roll into him, looking up at his beautiful eyes. "G'Day."

"G'day," he giggles and kisses my forehead.

"What are we having?" I ask, running my hand over his face that he still needs to shave.

"She made waffles and eggs and sausage."

"That sounds delicious."

"It is," he nods.

"I love your mum," I smile as he kisses my forehead.

"I can tell," he giggles before his face falls and he stares at me, brushing his fingers through my hair. "My dad is a good guy, too," he whispers, "He'd never hurt you."

"I don't think he would," I say defensively before he looks into my eyes, his intent to just be real with me. "I don't blame you. I'm not upset with you. I'm just saying it out loud so you know and so you can, I don't know," he sighs, "feel more comfortable around him when you're here."

I nod, "I'll repeat that in my head. That I'm safe here."

"You are," he kisses my cheek before climbing off the bed and putting on a pair of gym short.

We go to the kitchen, the thick aroma of cooked sausage permeating the air before the sizzling of it in the pan takes over and we find Karen at the stove.

"Oh g'day," she smiles at us.

"Morning, Mum," Mikey kisses her on the temple and leans against the counter.

"Plates are right there," she points to the plates and silverware on the counter near a stack of waffles, "hurry before dad comes and takes it all."

"Oh, good idea," Mikey laughs and steps around his mum to grab a plate and I join, maneuvering in the now compact space.

I grab a plate and watch as Mikey fills his with waffles before Karen turns to me, "Sweetie do you like scrambled eggs or sunny side up?"

I open my mouth to answer her when a large warm hand lands on my shoulder and a deep voice sounds in my ear from behind, "'Scuse me, Darlin'" before a body brushes against mine. The next thing I remember is the sound of procelean shattering and spraying across linoleum. I blink several times as I see Karen holding my arm, her mouth moving but there's no sound before I see her bend over. My eyes land on the broken plate and sound returns to my ears.

"I didn't mean to startle you, I'm so sorry," Mr. Clifford says, trying to reach out to me but I bend down.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," I huff, my hands shaking terribly as I try to pick up the broken prcelean.

"Don't worry about it, Sweetie," Karen assures me, "I've got this. Go eat."

"No please, this is my fault. AH!" I shout, my finger dripping blood to the white floor.

"Hannah," Mikey gasps, "Oh my god, c'mere." He pulls me to my feet and ushers me to the bathroom as blood begins to run down my arm that Mikey holds up. "Holy shit," he turns on cold water and sticks my finger under it while he finds a rag to wet and wipe the blood off my arm. He presses the rag to my cut, applying intense pressure and I gasp, grimacing at him. "I know it hurts. But you need to stop the bleeding."