-17-

-mikey-

Mikey checks his phone first thing his alarm goes off, upset to find Hannah still hasn't responded to his text about being home or that they forgot to pick a furniture piece for him to make. He reminds himself of her smile after he kissed her and concludes she must have just got busy with homework or even painting. With a deep breath he lets it go and gets ready so he can meet Hannah at the corner.

Her arms are crossed and her earbuds are in as she walks down Willow, the wind blowing her hair into her face. She doesn't budge, just stares down and slaps her Dr. Martens into the concrete. She wears black sweat pants and a large black zip-up hoodie. It begins to rain and she puts the hood on but once again wrapping her arms around herself.

She looks up at Mikey when she approaches and gives him the faintest smile before looking down at her feet. She removes an ear bud but tucks her hand back under arm, keeping her distance before turning down Ula Cress. Mikey follows, staring down Willow as his heart stops, wondering what the fuck goes on down that street.

He walks faster to be beside her, desperately wishing she would tell him what was going on so he could help, but knowing he promised not to pry. So instead he reaches down and grabs her free ear bud, getting closer to hear what she's listening to. He chuckles when he hears a Green Day song, Billie Joe Armstrong screaming profanities into their ears.

They arrive on campus and join the casual swarm of students, Hannah gripping herself tighter and tighter with each student who bumps into her. Mikey grabs the door as soon as he can to usher her inside before she rushes to the stairs. He follows, surprising her and she stops to gawk at him.

"Can I walk you to zero hour?" He asks softly, lifting his hand slowly to grasp her elbow, hoping she'll release her hands so he can hold one.

She nods but doesn't loosen her arms and they walk to the library in silence. Once they arrive she begins to enter through the doors before he grabs at her arm to stop her.

"Please don't," she yanks away from him grimacing like he hurt her and her eyes turn red.

"I'm sorry," he says breathily, putting his hands up quickly. "I'm sorry, Hannah. I'm just worried about you."

She turns, putting her back to him as her head drops, her shoulders shaking as she fights a sob and chokes out, "You shouldn't. And I shouldn't be in your life."

"Hannah," he gasps, her words like a dagger to his heart. "You don't meant that. Tell me you don't mean that." He presses into her hand warning him to stay at bay and grabs it, holding it to his chest as his breath increases, not ready to lose her. She can't do this. "Hannah?" He begs quietly and she drops her hand as she releases a deep shaky breath.

"No I don't," she whispers and he exhales his relief.

"Can I hug you?" He steps closer to her but she shakes her head.

"Not right now," she answers and he nods his head as she turns to him, exposing the streaks down her face. His face twists in anguish, seeing her like this and unable to comfort her, desperately wanting to hold her. Desperately wanting her safe. Her jaw trembles and she looks away from him, sniffling at the ground. "I'll see you in history okay?"

Mikey nods and takes a step back, giving her the space she needs even though it kills him. The bell rings and he swallows, watching her walk into the library and he goes straight to the music room, flipping off Mrs. Haunenbaum when she tries to get him into her class.

===

Mikey stares at Hannah as they sit in the empty library, Mrs. Carter gone long ago. She takes notes on their current history assignment while he works on the extra credit catch up, feeling overwhelmed. But mostly, he can't shake his concern.