-30-

-mikey-

Mikey yawns as he waits at the road sign, his hot americano in one hand and chai latte for Hannah in the other. He feels both relieved and excited when he sees her descend the steps, her white blonde hair tussling from the motion. She looks up and sees him, a smile spreading on her face before she jogs the rest of the way to him.

She reaches him and immediately wraps her arms around his chest, releasing a deep sigh as she presses her cheek to his heart. Mikey embraces her and kisses the top of her head before she pulls away, looking at the ground. He becomes confused but accepts her change, even though he hates it.

"Thank you," she gives him a quick smile before looking back down at the ground, but he saw the dark circles under her eyes.

She holds her drink with both hands as they walk to the school, upsetting Mikey as he dies to connect with her in some way. But she allows him to walk close and brush against her, which he will accept as enough.

"Got all your homework done?" Mikey asks once they get on school property and she still hasn't said a word, just watching her docs slap into the concrete.

"Huh?" She looks up at him and then nods, "Yeah, most of it."

"Were you up late?"

"Yeah."

"And you didn't sleep well?"

"Not really," she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry," he says sympathetically and grabs her shoulder.

She flinches but then relaxes as his thumb begins to rub over the joint, letting him comfort her. He watches her demeanor change instantly, her shoulders loosen and she lifts her head higher. He feels relief that she welcomes his touch and lets him console her.

"Why did we have to meet this morning? What are you doing after school?"

"My dad is taking me out to dinner," Hannah says flatly

"Oh," Mikey says, taken aback. "That's nice of him?"

He frowns, her blasé tone making him skeptical. Normal parents taking their children out to dinner is usually for a special occasion, but her emotionless makes him question the motive. Mikey has heard of abuser's giving gifts or presenting extraordinary kindness to make up for their cruel behavior; a manipulation to keep their victim in their grasp. Is this that?

"Yeah, I guess," Hannah frowns and deflates again, watching her shoes as her hair hides her face from him again.

They make it to the library and she helps him with math before he works on his extra credit for history and she reads The Old Man and the Sea. He glances at her often but she stays quiet, not the confident and happy girl he was with yesterday. His heart throbs for that girl, but still loves this one too and will wait patiently to see a smile on those pretty heart shaped lips.

The bell rings to get to Zero Period and he sighs, closing his book and putting it into his bag. She collects her items and walks them behind the counter to her spot, Mikey following behind. He reaches out and grabs her hand, making her freeze before she turns to look at him with a tired expression. That damn crease between her brows.

"Can I kiss you?" He asks quietly.

She nods but doesn't move closer, so he lets her have her space and just gives her a gentle peck. Her breathing picks up and she swallows as he steps backwards, releasing her hand. He struggles with leaving her but knows she wants to sort out her feelings and as a compromise he smiles and continues to walk backwards to the door.