-57-

-mikey-

Mikey is disorientated when a loud noise rings out in his room, making his head hurt as he feels Hannah's body leave his. He groans as he begins to stir and then the noise thankfully stops, a soft grumbling coming from Hannah.

"Wha-" he begins to ask but is startled when her fingers press forcefully to his mouth, making him flinch and spring his eyes open.

His eyes land on her, the size of saucers as she presses her phone to her ear and he hears the roaring on the other end. "-the fuck are you, Hannah?!"

"Dad?" She stammers, her eyes beginning to brim.

"Who the fuck else, Hannah? Don't play dumb. I come home and your gone. Now, where the fuck are you?"

She swallows and keeps her voice as level as possible, "I'm sorry I'm at Tanner's. She called me shortly after you left. She was really upset. My phone died. I must have fallen asleep while it was charging."

"Get your ass home."

She lowers the phone and sighs, her eyes closing as her fingers fall from his lips before she pushes the blankets down and climbs off the bed, grabbing her clothes from the floor.

"What are you doing?" Mikey asks, swinging his legs off the edge of the bed.

"I'm going home," she says flatly and matter of fact as she steps into her underwear and pulls her shirt over her head

"The hell you are," Mikey retorts, grabbing her arm gently but she still yanks from it.

"Excuse me?" She replies haughty.

"Hannah," he says softly, bending to grab his jeans and boxers to slide into them, while adding, "You can't go back. He sounds pissed as fuck."

"That's why I need to go," she says annoyed, pulling her jeans on.

"Hannah, please," he steps to her, making her stop and look at him. "Please don't go. Not after last time." His eyes begin to fill as he stares down at her, his stomach tight as his lungs stop working. "Please don't go."

"Mikey," she whispers, resting her hand on his cheek, "I have to. The longer I'm gone the more angry he is becoming."

"Exactly! He's angry!" Mikey says loudly, begging her to see reason. "You can't leave. Not after last time," he shakes his head as his eyes fill more picturing her black eye and the marks around her neck. "Hannah, I can't lose you."

He falls to his knees and grabs her shirt, crying into her stomach, before she begins to cry with him. She hugs him and kisses his head.

"Mikey, I have to go."

"No," he pleads, standing up and grabbing her elbows, "Let me take you to Ashton's. You can hide there until I get us a place. I'll have my mum spot me the money."

"Mikey," Hannah shakes her head, tears streaming down her face.

"Lets just tell my mum," he chokes desperately, breaking down again, "Please she'll know what do to." His body trembles as he grab her under the ear and presses his forehead to hers, "Just please don't go back there, Hannah. Please. I'm begging you. Stay with me. Please stay with me."

She shakes as she hugs him, crying just as roughly while he slumps into her. His hands cling to her shirt, holding her tight to him as fear takes over his soul and a gnawing in his gut tells him something bad is going to happen. His instincts tell him danger is ahead and he hates that she doesn't feel it too.

"Hannah, please," he begs her again, pulling away to look into her eyes.

"I will text you right away. I promise. But I need to go before he gets any more angry. Please walk me to the corner?" She counters him.

"Let me go inside with you," he offers, desperate to keep her safe.

"Mikey, Babe, no," she shakes her head. "You're an adult. He could call the police or hurt you himself and get away with it."

"Let him fucking try!" Mikey furrows his brows as he growls.

"Mikey, no," she puts her hands on his chest to calm him. "Get dressed and let's go please."

"How do I know when I'll see you again?" He sniffles as she hands him his shirt and he pulls it over his head anyway.

"I'll tell him I need to meet you a the school for tutoring tomorrow or tonight."

"Both," Mikey requests, looking at her concerned. He is following her lead, allowing this all to happen but his stomach still churns, anxiety making his skin crawl.

"I'll try," she chuckles, putting her shoes on.

"Please, Hannah," he grabs her hand and she stops, giving him her attention.

She wipes his face and then grips his hands in hers, "I promise. I promise I will tell him how important it is so he will let me out. But I don't know for sure, Mikey."

"Thats why I'm so scared," he whispers, squeezing her hands back.

"I'll text you the whole time. I promise."

"Okay," he concedes and puts his shoes on.

Karen offers them coffee and eggs that Hannah kindly declines before Mikey informs his parents he will be right back. He breathes in the fresh mid-morning air, letting it soothe his lungs but they still feel tight, ready to anything. His stomach cramps the whole way, making him swallow several times she speed walks them to her corner, holding his hand firmly the whole way.

They make it to the corner sign and she slows but Mikey keeps going, determined to stay with her, despite her wishes. She stops in her tracks, her hand slipping from his as he steps without her. He turns back to her, her scowl making his jaw clench and he hates her stubbornness.

"What are you doing?" She hisses.

"I'm going with you," he replies solidly, standing tall.

"No you aren't, Mikey," she says irritated and whiny. "We discussed this already."

"I'm not letting you go alone!" He shouts.

"You don't get to tell me what to do!" She yells back. "Stop wasting my time and go home!"

"No," he huffs, his eyes glistening as his jaw trembles.

"Mikey please," she pleads, tears pouring over. "I will text you as so-"

Her sentence is cut off as he grabs his face and crashes his lips to hers. She whines and melts, clinging into his shoulders as she kisses him back intensely. His nose rubs into hers as he tilts his head and pushes his tongue into her mouth, making her moan as she steps into him. Her hands move to his hair as his drop from her face, one on her back and the other grips her ass.

She whines again as he pulls away, breathing heavily as he presses his forehead to her and swallows, his eyes beginning to fill again, "Come back to me Hannah or I swear to God I'll burn this fucking world to the ground."

Her chest heaves as she nods, her body beginning to tremble, "Tonight. I'll leave tonight. Ask Ash if I can stay."

"Really," he pulls away to look into her eyes.

"Yes," she nods, "You said you were ready to do whatever it takes, well so am I. I'll pack a bag and sneak out tonight."

"Okay," Mikey huffs, tears spilling over with happiness before he kisses her again.

"Call Ash," she laughs through her tears, "I've got to go. I'll text you."

"Okay," he nods, swallowing as she steps from his grip and turns around, walking to her door.

His heart pounds with happiness, but still agonizing fear. Her words made him so happy, elated that he gets to steal her away from this nightmare, but his chest still tightens. It reminds him, as he watches her ascend the steps, that this still isn't over. He still has a whole day to endure with her inside that house before he can shroud her to safety.

He releases a breath and turns around once she disappears inside, pulling out his phone to call Ashton and disclose the plan.