-40-

-mikey-

"We should just stay here," Hannah mumbles as Mikey helps her out of the shower, "Or let's go to your house? Please."

She looks up at him with hopeful eyes, but he swallows down his emotions again. He's trying so hard to pretend he's okay, but he's a hair thin line away from crumbling to the floor again. He can't risk her missing school and her dad finding out, though.

So when she began talking about staying home so they could talk this out and work through this together, he knew he had to lie and act like he was okay. It's not ideal to lie, but he's not acting like everything is perfect again. But just acting enough okay that he would make it through school. He convinced her to take a shower with him, almost regretting it immediately as more bruises came visible. But with her permission he held back his tears and kissed every single one of them and now he will continue to encourage her to get ready for school.

"We need to go to school, Babe," he says, wrapping a towel around her before he squeezes at her hair with another.

"Can we go to your house tonight though? Did you ask your mum?" Her eyes dart between his.

"I haven't but I will," he smiles, but the crease between her brows lets him know she knows his smile is forced.

"Mikey," she reaches up and caressing his cheek, his stomach clench as the act almost sends him to his knees.

He releases a sigh and rests into her hand before he looks deep into her eyes, "We need to get ready and go to school. Luke will be here to pick us up soon."

"Okay," she says quietly and kisses his cheek before they go the spare room to get dressed.

The ride to school is agonizing for Mikey as he realizes he is not a great actor, he doesn't know how Hannah shows up every day and hides her true feelings. Then he realizes she is probably numb to it all, locking it out all so she can survive. The thought assaults him and his eyes smart. How is he going to pull through today? He just can't.

"Have a good day," Mikey kisses Hannah's temple as he drops her off at the library.

"Mikey, we should just go."

"No," Mikey smiles, "I'm okay. We can talk after school okay? I'm okay."

"I think you're lying to me," she frowns, looking between his eyes.

"Okay. I'm not okay," he says lightly, "But I'll be alright."

"Okay," Hannah says cautiously, the crease still residing between her brows.

"Have a good day, I love you."

"I love you too," Hannah squeezes him.

He holds her tight, letting her push him back together enough for him to get to Calum. He kisses her head and she lets go, giving him a sweet smile as she walks through the door. Mikey watches her before he turns around, racing to the stairs that he practically skips two at a time and runs to the music room, finding Calum with his guitar.

"Did you drive today?" Mikey huffs, grabbing Calum's backpack and the guitar from his hands to put back in its case.

"Dude what the hell?" Calum looks at him confused.

"Did you drive today?" Mikey asks again.

"Yes. Man what the fuck is going on?

"Get me out of here. Take me to Ashton's please."

"What why? What's wrong?" Calum jumps into action, taking over to close his case and grabbing it as Mikey begins to head out the door with Calum's backpack.