-58-

-hannah-

My heart pounds and hands sweat as I open the door, finding it unlocked and step inside. I swallow and steady my breath, reminding myself of my plan to stay strong and controlled.

"I'm home, Dad. I'm sorry," I call out, waiting for his response that doesn't come. I stand at the landing and look down the stairs, leaning over to check for movement or noise but detect none. Just incase I holler down the stairs, "I'm back, Dad."

Still nothing, my eyes darting around as I think of an explanation before the eerie silence makes the hair on my neck stand. I swallow and shake it off, going up the stairs to head to my room. My foot lands at the top of the stairs when I hear a rustling in my room, my stomach dropping.

"Dad?" I ask as I walk down the hall and find my door ajar. I push it open and find my dad, his back to me as he stares at my wall. I lick my lips and clench my shaking hands. "I'm sorry I left without permission. Tannar was just so upset. I wanted to be there for her," I begin and he turns around, eyeing me with his icy dark stare.

"I like this one," he points to the purple hued painting I made the day Mikey walked me to the corner, the sun shining through his hair as he looked off into the distance; so handsome. "What inspired you?"

I swallow again, "I-uh-um-"

"Tannar brought you home?" He changes the subject, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Yes," I nod.

"Because you were at her house?" He asks, his tone frightening me as I feel my knees shake and he steps towards me.

"Yes, I just told you she was upset," I say weakly and he gets closer, my muscles vibrating to run.

"If Tannar brought you home, then why did I see you kissing that Michael boy down the street?"

All the air leaves my body as his face darkens, his feature becoming rigid as he stares menacingly at me, his lip curling, but I stand my ground.

"What?" I lift my head, "You never thought I'd find a boyfriend?"

"Hannah," he growls at me.

"I'm not yours anymore," I spit at him.

His nostrils flare with anger while his eyes narrow, staring deep into mine and he realizes I am serious. I watch a glimmer of fear flex his pupils before his eyes begin to shift back and forth, rage tightening his face. He lifts his head and looks me up and down, finally seeing I am not a scared little girl anymore.

"Why would he even want you," he scoffs, a sick smile on his face as he laughs cruelly, "you're just a dirty whore, Hannah."

I clench my jaw as my nostrils flare, my fist clenching before I turn on my heel and head back down the hallway before he tightly grabs my wrist, making me yelp.

"And where the fuck do you think you're going?" He roars at me.

"I'm leaving!" I shout, yanking my hand away.

"The fuck you are!" He explodes before he shoves me roughly and I crash into the wall, hitting my head.

I hiss as my brow instantly throbs and his hand claws my hair, jerking me back to him. I twist my body, lifting my hands in defensive as he slams my body into the wall again. My breath whooshes from lungs before I see his hands coming for my throat, fear striking me as clench my fist and step forward with the opposite foot. I yell out as I swing my arm forward, propelling it with my shoulder and my knuckles turn horizontal just as they crack into his cheek bone.

He stumbles backwards, gripping his face as he groans, trying to catch his balance. I grab my phone from my pocket, it unlocking with my thumb print in the process and I dial Mikey as I run to the kitchen, trying to unlock the door to the balcony but my hand fumbles.

"Hannah?" I hear as the lock unclicks.

I turn the handle just as two large hands grip my shoulders and I fall backwards, dropping my phone as I scream, "Mikey!" I lunge for my phone and my dad grabs at me, his nails digging into my ankle as my hand slams onto my phone, my literal life line and I scream again, "HELP!"

But before I can grip it I'm pulled away, my dad pulling me to him as my eyes land on the cracked door. I can see the sun warming the grass and the wood of the balcony, my route to safety mapping in my head. I just need to get out that door.

I roll my body to my back as my dad drops to his knees, holding my legs down. They kick none the less, desperately trying to free themselves as I look around for something, anything. He punches me in the stomach and I gasp, choking for air as my eyes begin to water. Through my tears his face comes into view and I arch my back, pushing my shoulders into the ground and screaming wildly as I lunge upward, sending my fist up at his face a second time.