The Dark is not so Dark

Third Person POV

Winter at Hogwarts was a nightmare. By the beginning of December there was enough snow and ice outside Hogwarts that even made a simple walk to the greenhouses extremely difficult.

And the temperatures! It was so bad Rhaenyra was beginning to take Ragnarok with her everywhere as her personal heater, the dragon gave off lots of heat.

Ragnaork was growing. He was going to be a very large dragon, as he was already the size of a very large cat.

Silverwing had taken refuge in her dorm as the Owlery was extremely cold. Rhaenyra had to instal a perch for her snowy owl.

The few birds courses enough to make deliveries had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid after delivering their letters and packages.

"I feel so sorry" she heard Draco Malfoy said in Potions on the last day of class "for all those people who had to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

Rhaenyra and Ivan, having paired up like usual, turned to gives murderous glares that Snape would approve of at Draco. He paled and turned away.

Many in Hogwarts forgot that Ivan's birth mother was not Bellatrix. The Slytherin wizard had grown up with only his aunt, who was loving but strict, and her boyfriend who would abuse him until his aunt caught her now ex in the act.

Now said ex was dead. Ivan's aunt had been rumored to pay Lady Zabini and Ivan did nothing to deny the rumors.

Rhaenyra on the other hand, had spent her whole life after the Black Massacre in the abusive and neglectful mundane foster system.

Cygnus had been on the few adults to show her kindness, and the first to do something about her suffering from the foster system and give her a real and proper home.

Neville was the third member of the Shadows to have a tragic backstory. Ivan's father and adoptive mother, Bellatrix, along with his uncle Rabastan and another Death Eater had been accused of torturing his parents into insanity and locked away without a trial.

He had been raised by his grandmother, who suspected Dumbledore was the real one on why her son and daughter in law were in St.Mungos. Because of that, the Longbottom's voted against Dumbledore every time in the Wizengamot.

"When I become Lady Black and him Lord Malfoy, I'm going to make his life hell." the Princess of Fire hissed.

"I'll join." the Black Raven muttered. "Where are you going for Yule?"

"Duh. I have a home, Nightingale Hall." Rhaenyra said. "I'll ask Cygnus if I can invite you and the rest of the Shadows to visit."

"I would like that. Other than the traditional Yule Dance at Malfoy Manor, there really isn't anything to do." Ivan hummed. "What are you going to do?"

"Cygnus hired Flitwick to continue tutoring me in Dueling. I'm getting good, I know so many spells, curses, hexes, and jinxes now." Rhaenyra said.

Ivan lowered his voice. "Did you know that the 'Dark' is really just the Old Ways."

Rhaenyra gave him a stunned look as a cauldron exploded behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhaenyra and Ivan, along with Morag and her partner Daphne Greengrass were the only ones who had successfully did the potion they had been assigned.

Because of that, Snape who was feeling generous today, gave the four no homework for Yule Break.

Everyone else had one roll, at least 30 inches long, of parchment on snake fangs, aconite, and why they were not to be used in the same potion.

At the end of the day, the Shadows all boarded the Hogwarts Express and headed back to Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

When they got there, they said their goodbyes.

"Ready to go home Rhaenyra?" Cygnus asked when Rhaenyra reached him.

"Yes please." Rhaenyra said and the two apparated back to Nightingale Hall.

That is today's chapter. I hope you enjoyed it.