Chapter 7

"Mistress Y/N?"

Y/N let out a long yawn and stretched her arms reaching far over her head as she moaned, trying to banish the slumber from her body. It felt as if someone was slowly pulling her drowsy soul out of her body and replacing it with one filled with vigour and zest, ready to face the coming day.

"Mistress?"

Y/N rolled over and blinked sleepily. It seemed that the morning had come once again, and the sun was coming to greet her.

"Please be patient, dear child. It will take time for the young mistress to arise. I will alert you to when she is ready to see you. Please meet her outside in the sitting room."

"Thank you."

The new voice, something that sounded like an elderly gentleman, spoke again. "Mistress? It is far past the hour of your desired waking. I fear that if you remain in bed any longer your parents might think you ill and send for the doctor." A gentle hand rested on Y/N's shoulder and shook her gently. The warmth from the gentleman's hand slowly summoned some more life from the limp girl and she steadily opened her eyes, smiling up at the man.

"Hello, Lucian. I apologize for sleeping in so long. I must confess that I was up rather late last night composing the latest letter to the prince."

The man chuckled, the short white beard and moustache around his mouth moving the slightest bit. "The prince will be pleased to hear your words of wisdom once again, my dear. Though I suspect that he would prefer to hear them from your lips."

"Yes, I suppose. Unfortunately, I will not be able to visit him again until I deal with the issue concerning the missing prince."

"Yes, I suppose you do have a point. His parents should be arriving later today to inform you of this evening's festivities."

Y/N nodded and sat up in bed, and the gentleman left her bedside, heading over to a small bedside table where he picked up an elegant china teapot and poured a small cup of tea into a handle-less cup. He carefully placed two spoonfuls of sugar in it, and a small portion of cream, before walking back over to the young girl and handing her the cup.

"Will you be wearing the lovely midnight blue dress today?"

Y/N nodded as she lifted the china to her lips, savouring the taste of the tea on her tongue. As usual, Lucian had made it perfectly.

"Shall I fetch the maids to come and assist you?"

Y/N reached out a hand and placed it on Lucian's. "Thank you ever so much, Lucian. Day after day you serve me and my family, caring for all of the chores that I must attend to. However, do you manage it?"

Lucian chuckled and pulled out a silver pocket watch. "Seeing a smile on your face is enough for me, young Y/N. I have been watching over you since the day you were born. You are like a daughter to me, and as a father, I shall help you in any way that I am able."

Lucian left after pressing a gentle kiss against Y/N's forehead, leaving the girl in the silence of her bed-chamber. She allowed herself to recline against her plush pillows and shut her eyes gently when she felt the gentle caress of the morning breeze coming in from her window.

Unfortunately, her time of relaxation was quickly ended when a pair of maids entered the room, smiling at the young woman.

"Mistress Y/N," one of them said. "We have been summoned to help you prepare for the day."

"Thank you, Kala. You as well, Hannah. I fear that I would be lost if not for the two of you." She quickly finished her tea and handed it to Hannah, who placed it back on the silver tray that Y/N had been given that morning. Kala, on the other hand, held out Y/N's beautiful silk robe so that the young Mistress could slip into it.