🦁 Chapter 53

"Magical Shift Tournament?"

"What, Prefect, you don't know Magift?" Ace seemed mildly offended that Yuu didn't quite know what they were talking about.

"It's famous around the world. There's a pro league and world cup, too." 

Grim glared up at the two Heartslabyul students. "I don't know either!"

Ace spoke up before Deuce could say anything and started explaining to the two students. "Magical shift, or Magift for short, is a sport played by two teams of seven. Put simply, there's a disk that you have to throw through the other team's goal to score points. The team with the most points wins."

"Sounds like American Football," Yuu muttered, remembering the game that he had watched growing up with his father.

"American Football? Is that a sport from your home?"

Crowley hummed in thought, trying to recall whether or not he had ever heard the term 'American Football before'. He didn't think that he had. "It's not something I've heard before. I'll look it up next time I'm in the library. It might even turn into a lead..."

Ace frowned and glanced between Yuu and Grim. "But it might be hard for you to take part in a game of magift, Prefect."

"Why's that," Grim questioned.

"Magical shift is a sport that uses magic. The disk is carried with magic and both offence and defence also use magic."

"How big a spectacle you can make with magic is also part of being a great player," Ace added with a grin.

"Yes! That's why Night Raven College is known as a champion around the world! Countless alumni have gone on to be pro players! Magift is just an athletic sport but one that uses magic to compete as well. Our school's Inter-Dorm Magical Shift Tournament is attended by representatives of pro leagues and those from different magical industries around the world. The arena will be lined with food stalls and visitors from different countries will grace the stadium. It is a tournament that'll make your palms sweat and works the whole world into a frenzy thanks to the live broadcast TV cameras."

Yuu was nothing short of shocked to hear just how big this tournament was. He would have expected a tournament in a school to be small, like the tournaments that his school had back home for volleyball games and such, but to hear that the whole world was getting in on the action? Yuu couldn't imagine playing in front of all those people. 

"TV cameras," he asked, choking a little bit.

Grim didn't seem nearly as bothered by the idea of being on live TV. "Worldwide broadcast?! So if I play in the tournament the whole world will be paying attention to me?"

Crowley grinned. "Certainly! Those who play in the tournament will without a doubt become popular with pro leagues and any number of sponsors." 

Yuu sighed. He knew exactly what Crowley was doing. Grim had a one-track mind when someone offered him either food or popularity of any sort.

Deuce chuckled. "In your case, Grim, I think they'd be more surprised by seeing a monster play."

Grim pumped his tiny fist in the air. "Oh yeah! I'll start some special training today and stand out to everyone in that stadium!"

"Oh, but Grim, you can't play at all."

"Huh?!"

Crowley chuckled, the smile still plastered on his face. "Haven't I said 'Inter-Dorm' several times already? Your dorm doesn't meet the seven-person requirement, does it? So you can't even apply."

"Eh?! How can that be?!" 

Grim seemed distraught and Yuu contemplated whether or not to comfort him.