🐙 Chapter 98

Y/N stared at the vial in her hand, her thumb gently caressing the edge of the crystal. There was a small chip in the curve of the edge and Y/N flinched as the plush underside of her finger caught on the edge, tearing the first layer of skin. She switched the vial to the other hand and inspected the surface wound, relieved that it hadn't drawn any blood. 

"This potion we got from Azul..."

Y/N glanced up, smirking when she saw Deuce staring at the neon green potion sitting in Yuu's open palm.

"Is it really going to allow us to breathe underwater?" 

The young girl wasn't surprised that the boys were so sceptical about using a potion that had been provided by the very one who was holding three of them under a magically binding contract. It was only logical that they didn't entirely trust him after not being careful enough to read the small print of the contract that they had signed with him. 

"Wondering won't do us any good," Jack mused, taking the potion from Yuu. "We just have to drink it." He was about to uncork it when it was suddenly snatched away by the orange-haired boy.

"Well then," Ace smirked. "Let's do this on go." He grabbed the cork and wrenched it from the neck, splashing a few drops of potion on the head of the little tanuki standing at his feet. "Ready... go!" He lifted the vial to his lips before anyone could tell him to wait and took a swig, grimacing almost immediately as the liquid hit his lips. He sputtered and nearly threw the potion to the magicless boy, who fumbled with it for a moment, trying to make sure that they didn't lose any more of the potion than what Ace had dropped. 

"I'm glad it only takes a few drops," Y/N muttered to herself as she watched the rest of the boys finish off the potion, each one flinching at the terrible taste. 

"Ugh... This is..."

Grim stuck out his tongue, trying to spit out the potion that he had just swallowed. "Blegh! It tastes like dried frog mixed with rotten mushrooms!" He tossed the empty vial to the ground, where it clattered against the hard stone of the floor. 

Jack seemed as though he was struggling to stand due to the horrible taste, his nose wrinkling and his tail twitching irritably behind him. He gripped Y/N's shoulder, unknowingly making her wince at his tight grip. Still, she said nothing as she was free from the terrible taste. Though, she didn't know how the one she had been given would taste compared to the one that had been supplied for the boys. 

"This flavour is a punch in the face," Jack growled.

Ace finally managed to stop sputtering like a fish and wiped his mouth on his sleeve, sticking out his tongue once more in a disgusted face. "Ugh. The way that potions taste is a serious problem if you ask me." He kicked the bottle in annoyance, sending it into a pillar where a large crack formed in the side of the nautilus shell. "How the heck do adults put up with this?"

Y/N smirked. "Adults aren't wimpy babies like you lot." 

The boys glared at her, though she ignored them as she stared at the contents of her vial. Rather than the glowing green, almost like a toxin, of the boy's potion, Y/N's shone like the deepest depths of the sea. Almost as if Azul had merely thickened the water of his homeland and stuck it into a vial before giving it to Y/N. 

"What's that," Yuu asked, regaining his composure as he tried to swallow the last few vile drops of potion. 

Y/N shrugged. "Don't know. The Leech twins gave it to me. Something about Azul wanting me to get the 'full experience'." She lifted the vial to the light of the candelabras that were hanging around the room. "Whatever that means." 

Suddenly, Deuce let out a sputtering gasp and he grabbed at his throat as if he was trying to pull the skin and muscles away. "More important than that... why is it getting hard to breathe?!"