Chapter 15

The mine was surprisingly beautiful, with tall rock pillars that held up the ceiling, decorated with small gems that had been revealed with time. As Y/N's light passed over the gems, rainbows were scattered throughout the cave, showering the place in magical light. 

But sadly, she had no time to worry about the beautiful appearance of the cave around her. The scream she had heard still rang clear in her mind and she couldn't shake the feeling that something might have happened to the boys in the time that it took for her to catch up to them.

'Oh I hope nothing happened to them in my absence,' she thought to herself. Her light hit another gem on the wall and the light sprang back into her eyes, making her stumble a little, nearly dropping her want in the process. She clutched her eye.

"Ow." It was the comical sort of ow, with an extremely delayed reaction, and Y/N couldn't help but smile at how she said the word. Finding the fun in terrifying situations seemed to help her, and she felt her heart start to find a regular pattern of beating again.

Another yelp from just down the train tracks made Y/N jump, before starting to increase her speed until she was sprinting down the tunnel. Her light flashed widely as she tried to keep it out in front of her, but in her haste, she forgot to check for the many rocks that were scattered on the ground.

"This place is haunted with ghosts, too!" 

"Ace," Y/N whispered, breathing a sigh of relief when she heard the boy's voice. He sounded relatively calm, though still hiding a panicked undertone. She suspected that whatever ghosts he was talking about weren't like Snow White's spirit, which was kind and benevolent. 

"We don't have time to deal with them one by one. Let's go!"

"Wait," Y/N yelled out as she turned the corner, her eyes widening when she saw just how many ghosts were surrounding her friends. She narrowed her eyes at the spectres and lifted her hand, casting light into every crevasse of the place. 

"Get away," the ghosts yelled, batting at the beams of light as they soared through the air, reaching for the ghosts like a predator. They fled as the light covered the walls of the cavern, fleeing into the walls themselves and into other rooms that lacked any form of light. 

Y/N breathed a sigh of relief as she lowered her hand a bit. "Glad I caught up to you guys," she said with a smile. "Are you all okay?" Everyone nodded.

"How did you do that, Y/N," Yuu asked, walking over to the girl, and staring at the source of the light. He was surprised to see that the light was coming solely from her hand, without the aid of a wand, like Deuce and Ace's magic. 

Y/N stared at her hand. "I don't know. It just kind of... happens. I still don't know anything about my magic."

Grim ran up to Y/N and clung to one of her legs. "We were about to get cursed by those ghosts! They wanted us to stay here forever!"

Y/N smiled and crouched down to pat the raccoon on the head. "Well then it's good that I got here when I did, isn't it?"

She turned to Deuce and Ace. "How about we keep going? There's sure to be a crystal somewhere in here."

Deuce let out a long sigh. "I don't know. We haven't found any so far."

Y/N stood and looked down the dark cavern, sending her light down ahead of them. It danced through the air like a graceful swan, its wings flying steadily as it swam down the cave. The gems embedded in the walls shone brightly and twinkled in welcoming to the quintet. 

"Well, the sooner we find a crystal, the sooner we can get back to the school," Yuu said, gingerly taking Y/N's hand in his. He was terrified. He was the only one without any means of defending himself, and since he still wasn't close with Deuce and Ace, and Grim seemed to think of him as nothing more than a henchman, he found himself drifting toward the only female in the cavern. Thankfully, Y/N didn't seem to care and squeezed his hand back in a reassuring manner.