🦁 Chapter 66

Y/N rubbed her shoulders as she walked through the halls of NRC, deep in thought about everything that had happened over the past few hours. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours since the Magift match in Savanaclaw, and it hadn't been more than two days since Trey had been injured.

"What is wrong with this school," Y/N muttered, dragging a tired hand down her face. She couldn't imagine anyone wanting to hurt others just to get ahead for something as simple as a tournament, but she wouldn't put it past the lazy lion. 

As she walked, her eyes trailed along the ground, admiring the intricate details on the tiles beneath her feet. Green mixed with purple, with the tiniest amount of silver peeking out between the cracks in the floor. She was so invested in the tiling that she didn't watch where she was going and soon bumped into a student who had been coming from the opposite direction.

"Sorry," she muttered, brushing off the front of her skirt. She straightened the knot of her tie, hoping that it wasn't too out of place, and glanced up to see a boy standing in front of her with a coy smirk on his face.

"And just where is a little treasure like you wandering off to," he purred, leaning down a little so that his face was only inches away from Y/N's. He took a step forward and she stepped back, hoping that he wouldn't take another step. 

"Nowhere in particular," she said. 

'Come on, Y/N! You've been putting up with hot guys for the past few weeks. You can handle one more!' Y/N clenched her hands and stood her ground. 

"Oh? What's this? Seems like the little treasure has gotten her wits back." The boy straightened up and flipped a strand of his chocolate hair over his shoulder. He seemed to have hair that was longer than a lot of the boys at the school, but instead of letting it hang loosely like Malleus often did, his seemed to be tied back loosely with a red ribbon. 

"What's your name, treasure?"

"Y/N. Y/N Artem. And you?"

The boy quirked an eyebrow. "You haven't heard of me?"

Y/N refrained from rolling her eyes, but only slightly. "No. Unfortunately, I have not heard of you. So, if you would, please bestow upon me your lovely name." Feeling particularly sassy, Y/N gave a small curtsy.

This seemed to please the boy and he puffed out his chest a little. "I am Jaques of the isle of Never. Surely you have heard of the legendary band of pirates that sails around the island."

Y/N shook her head. "Can't say that I have. Well, anyway, it was nice to meet you... Jaques. But I need to be going now." 

She stepped around the boy, smirking to herself as she felt his eyes following her, and walked off down the hall. Now that she had seen the bright red band around his arm, she knew exactly what she was going to do. After making a quick stop by the kitchen, she headed to the Hall of Mirrors, where she knew she would find Trey, most likely still resting in his bed.

Sure enough, when she got there, Trey was sitting on his bed, one of his feet still elevated, with a book in his hand. 

He looked up when he heard the door open and he smiled when he saw the freshman walking into his room. He set the book aside and lifted his body a bit more so that he could sit more comfortably for a conversation.

"How are you doing," Y/N asked, taking a seat by Trey. She glanced down at his foot, wincing at the way it was wrapped. 

Trey just shrugged. "I'm doing okay. I guess I could be doing better, but it's not too bad." He glanced over to where a stack of homework was waiting for him. 

"They're still making you do homework?" Y/N got up and picked up the first piece of paper. "History of Magic?"

Trey let out a long sigh and rubbed his forehead. "Yeah, I still have homework to do. I have no idea when I'm going to turn it in though. Maybe Riddle could turn it in for me..."