Chapter 11

"Miss. Artem?"

Y/N glanced up from the textbook that she had been skimming through, frowning when she saw that one of her peers was standing in front of her. He was a Heartslabyul student, Deuce Spade, who Y/N had shared a desk with during the introduction that morning. It was an odd day of classes, as they hadn't even met their teachers yet, or had any real classes, and today was simply a day of getting to know those who you would be learning with for the next while. Deuce had introduced himself to Y/N earlier in the day before disappearing into his textbook, hoping to get a bit of studying done in preparation for the next day.

Y/N smiled and pulled out a piece of paper, folding it in half and slipping it between the pages of her book to quickly mark her place. "Hey, Deuce. You know, you can just call me Y/N right?"

Deuce nodded and Y/N noticed that his eyes flickered to the empty seat next to her. She patted the seat and Deuce sat down next to her.

"What are you reading," he asked, nodding in the direction of her textbook.

Y/N held it up to reveal the scarlet covered, embellished with small bronze and gold charms. "Just a book on different poisons. I heard the older students telling some other first years that we study potions first and then move on to other things in alchemy."

Deuce nodded and shuffled around nervously. "Do you want to come to the library with me? If you're interested in studying, we might be able to find more information there about the different poisons."

Y/N smiled and got to her feet, picking up her things. "Sure. Let's go."

The two left the classroom, making small talk as they headed to the library. If Y/N was being honest with herself, it felt strange to talk to someone who wasn't Yuu or Grim. For some reason, it felt strange to talk to anyone. She was hardly able to answer any of Deuce's questions that revolved around her life before she came to the school, so she mostly stuck to asking him questions about his life, or what his favourite things were.

The two eventually made it to the library, and Y/N was surprised to see that a multitude of other students had also elected to come here after classes, hoping to get a little more studying in before the next day. Deuce nodded in the direction of a few Heartslabyul residents who were hovering over in a section around poisonous plants, and as Y/N and Deuce approached, the group smiled at them.

"Hey Spade," one of them said, leaning back in the armchair. His eyes flickered over to Y/N. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Y/N Artem," Deuce said. Y/N didn't notice the tightness in his voice. "She's a first year like us."

Another one of the boys chuckled. "I didn't know they allowed chicks into this school."

Y/N glared at him, and before she knew what she was doing, her lips were moving. "Well, I didn't know that they let entitled little twits into this school." She grabbed Deuce's wrist and pulled him away from the boys, quickly locating an aisle with no one in it, and dumping her stuff on the desk.

"Sorry about them," Deuce muttered, scratching the back of his head. 

Y/N sighed. "It's all right. I don't really know why  I reacted like that, though." She pulled out one of the wooden chairs and sat down, taking out a thin notebook that she had found on her desk that morning with her name written on the notebook. 

She had arrived in her classroom that morning, quickly disentangling herself from Ace, who had refused to let her walk by herself (as he said that he was quite the gentleman). Most of the students in her class had already found seats, but Y/N discovered that her seat had been selected for her, as sitting on one of the desks, was a large stack of notebooks and textbooks for her, along with a note from the headmaster.