🥀 Chapter 21

"You seem to have a special talent here," a dark voice said, his voice making the room vibrate like violin strings.

Y/N turned her face toward the suspected origin of the voice but paled when she saw nothing but a solid black wall in front of her, decorated with blood red wainscoting beams around the walls. There was no furniture of any sort in the room, nor were there any windows, doors, or any other means of leaving this hauntingly dark place. Along the sides of the room there were some black wall sconces in the form of candelabras, with three thin black candles resting in the sconces, though all of them were unlit.

As her heart started beating loudly in her chest, Y/N raised her hands and snapped her fingers, hoping to bring out the magic that she had been able to tap into during her time in the coffin, even though she had little idea of how to control that magic that she had been blessed with. Unfortunately, even after what felt like a hundred times of snapping her fingers, the only thing that came as a result were blisters forming on the pads of her fingers from where her skin had passed over. Her right hand had come off worse during her lighting attempt, and as she continued to look around, Y/N cradled her hand, wishing that she hadn't continued snapping for so long.

"You won't be able to use your magic here, sweetheart."

Y/N spun around widely, the thick material of her dress spinning around her feet. The sudden thump of fabric against what felt like her bare leg made Y/N glance down at herself. A dress made of thick and glimmering red fabric adorned her body, with a black waist-corset tied up securely in the back. Black fingerless gloves stretched from her palm up to her bicep, and even though her dress sleeves fell to her elbow, Y/N felt a shiver run down her spine.

"Are you nervous, my pet," the voice asked, making Y/N's spine shiver something terrible.

"Where are you?" She was surprised at how much her voice wobbled in her throat. She raised a hand to press it against her throat. She tried speaking again and her eyes widened when she felt her vocal cords vibrating terribly against her fingers.

"Nowhere that you can see." And yet, even as the voice said this, Y/N felt a hot breath on the back of her neck. She spun around, her hand out in front of her as if she was about to ward off an attack, but she was surprised to find that there was no one behind her.

Instead of a person standing behind her, there was a long floor-length mirror resting against the wall, rimmed with what looked like black iron twisted to look like thorns. On one side of the mirror, a legion of spiders had been entombed, their black bodies forever trapped within the thorny prison, and on the other side, a thick mass of what looked like beetles longed to break free.

In the mirror, Y/N was able to get a better view of herself, and she paled when she realised just how different she looked. Her hair had turned from its usual colour to a deep black, so black that it almost seemed as if someone had drawn her, and her eyes had turned a similar colour.

She stepped closer to the mirror, stretching out a hand to press it against the glass. The cold glass kissed the tips of her fingers, though it felt more like a bite due to the sheer fridigness of the glass. She pulled her hand back as if she had been burned, once again clutching it to her chest. Fearful eyes met fearless ones coming from the mirror, and Y/N took in her appearance. True to what she had observed before, she was dressed in a dress that seemed as if it had come from ancient times, long before she had been born. The neckline had been squared off and lined with lace, allowing for the dianty ruby stone that sat on a long golden chain to hang around her neck. A black strip of fabric ran down the length of the front of the dress, rimmed with red lace that shimmered when Y/N turned. Black lace hung down from around her elbows, along with a thin black band around the top of her elbows.