🦁 Chapter 52

"Oi, Headmaster! Talking about blot and fighting ghosts have nothing to do with each other," Grim shouted, glaring at the ghost closest to him. The ghost winked at him before disappearing in a puff of white smoke.

"Grim, take a good look at the magic crystal around your neck."

Grim frowned at the instruction but obeyed and glanced down at the gem. He was horrified when he noticed some odd black splotches on the gem and he hurriedly tried to scrub them off with his paw. 

"There are some weird blotches on my crystal! I can't wipe them off with my paw!"

"There should be black smudges that look like drops of ink on the crystal. Those are the blots created from using magic," Crowley explained.

The others pulled out their pens as well and stared at their gems, rubbing their fingers over the black marks that they discovered. 

"If I look close, there are small smudges on my magic pen as well!"

Grim huffed. "Blegh, it's so dirty!"

"Will it go back to normal," Yuu asked. If he was being honest with himself, he was happy that he didn't have to worry about overblot since he was magicless. It seemed like many problems could stem from one having magic, all of which Yuu was eager to avoid if at all possible.

"Yes."

The tiny raccoon breathed out happily. "I'm relieved. Phew!"

Crowley continued explaining. "With enough rest, the blots will vanish in a short matter of time. Magical crystals don't only help with performing spells, but they also prevent blot from accumulating directly within the caster. They are truly a wonderful item that can shoulder your burdens."

Deuce nodded. "I see. So you mean that if our crystals start to darken we need to properly rest." Deuce had been noticing that his crystal had been starting to darken as of late. He suspected that most of it came from the stress that was building up due to the mountain of homework that was accumulating.

Crowley was grinning from ear to ear. "That's right. Eat well, sleep well, and normal blots will disappear on their own."

"Well, how 'bout that," Grim exclaimed. "Then when I become the greatest wizard ever, I can fire off spells like 'bang! bang!' with no problem! I always eat my fill and sleep like a rock."

Deuce glared at the little cat. 'Perhaps I should ask Y/N to join me in the library to study,' he thought, staring at his darkened gem. 'I know I relax whenever she's around.' 

Unfortunately for the blue-haired student, his fellow Heartslabyul dormmate was thinking something similar, though he was hoping that Y/N would accompany him down to the athletics field so that they could work on their flying together.

Crowley continued his lengthy explanation. "The amount of mana a person has varies from person to person, but aside from a few very special cases, the difference doesn't really affect the maximum blot a person can tolerate."

"What does that mean," Grim asked.

"That means, people like Mr Rosehearts, who have a lot of mana, have to be exceedingly careful about how much blot they are accumulating."

Ace interjected. "If you aren't paying attention and just keep using a bunch of magic without paying attention you're gonna get covered in blot."

"Well, with the amount of mana all of you possess I don't think there's any danger of that. Miss Y/N on the other hand... Isn't that great!" 

Yuu was about to ask about Y/N's mana, but Crowley was already moving on. The freshman suspected that he wasn't supposed to hear about Y/N having more mana than the rest of them, though Yuu wasn't entirely surprised. Even the few times that he had witnessed her using magic, he knew that she was incredibly powerful. It didn't even seem like she fully knew the extent of her powers yet.