🥀 Chapter 31

Ace let out a groan and flopped back into the chair by the counter, his hands flopping down by his sides. "Ah! We're finally done with the peeling!" On the counter in front of him were multiple baskets of peeled chestnuts, along with too many shavings and a few pairs of dented scissors that had been used to try and crack the shells open.

"My arms hurt," Deuce said, his head falling onto the table. 

Yuu and Grim had similar reactions, while Y/N just laughed and shook her arms out a few times. It had gone faster with all six of them working on peeling the chestnuts, but it had still taken a while.

"Good job," Trey said with a smile. "Your hard work will make it tastier." He picked up the bowls of peeled chestnuts and brought them over to the other counter which was clear of shavings. 

"I'm full just from the smell," Grim moaned.

"Next we mix butter and sugar into the chestnut paste. Then, add oyster sauce as the secret ingredient."

Y/N looked up from the towel that she had been using to dry her hands. She frowned at Trey. "Please tell me you're joking."

Trey shook his head. "The savoriness of oysters adds depth and richness to the cream." He picked up a small can of oyster sauce. "Here's the young oyster sauce with the walrus' seal of excellence. Famous patisseries all use this in their tarts."

"You're joking," Y/N said with a frown, leaning back against the counter. Despite her lack of memories when it came to cooking, her instinct told her that while some savoury foods might make it into the dish, the oyster sauce was not one of them.

Ace shrugged and picked up the can. "Even chocolate gets put in curry all the time. It might be good."

Trey couldn't hold back any longer and burst out laughing, nearly doubling over at the waist while Y/N just rolled her eyes. 

"And Y/N gets it," she exclaimed, throwing her hands up. She walked over to the boys and pulled the can out of Ace's hands. "There's no way that this goes in a tart."

Trey nodded, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes. "It's a joke. Oyster sauce does not belong in sweets."

"Screw you," Ace yelled. "You said it with a straight face!"

"If you took a second to think about it, you'd figure it out. Don't just accept things without a healthy amount of scepticism. Better study up."

Y/N eyes widened and she looked up at the clock. She had only five minutes before she was supposed to be at the Diasomnia dorm to study with Sebek and Silver. She rushed over to the sink and washed the flour and such off of her hands, wiping them on the towel before hurriedly packing up her things.

"Where are you going," Yuu asked, wondering why Y/N was suddenly so panicky.

"I was supposed to go and study with Sebek! I completely forgot!" She grabbed her bag and the box with her new uniforms in it, and after a quick goodbye, sped out of the room, running as fast as she could.

Thankfully, there weren't nearly as many students out and about on campus now, and Y/N quickly ran out of the kitchen, wondering where she was supposed to go. She had only been here for a few days, not nearly long enough to remember how in the world she was supposed to get to the Diasomnia dorm. She knew that she had to get to the Hall of Mirrors, but had no idea where in the world that was.

"Would it kill someone to put up a map," Y/N huffed, leaving the castle and running down onto Main Street. She could recall a little bit from earlier on in the day when she, Ace, Deuce, Yuu, and Grim had all gone to the Heartslabyul dorm. From what she could recall, the Hall was relatively close to Main Street.