🥀 Chapter 41

"Your majesty indeed! Why you're not a queen!" 

Y/N looked around in the dark of the room, searching for the sound of the voice. She knew that it was Alice, for she was fast asleep in her room at Ramshackle, and once again, she had walked the invisible path to the portal of dreams that had taken her away to Wonderland. 

Currently, she was watching was seemed to be a court scene, with Alice in a small box down on the floor, while the Queen of Hearts was standing in her much larger pew, glaring down at the young girl.

"You're just a pompous, bad-tempered tyrant," Alice declared, wagging her finger as if the Queen of Hearts was a child. 

'Where have I heard that before,' Y/N chuckled. She slid into an empty seat next to a small caterpillar and watched the scene play out. 

"What did you say," the queen screeched, nearly toppling out of her seat.

Suddenly, a small and unfamiliar cat appeared on top of the Queen's crown. "She said you're a pompous, bad-tempered tyrant!" He disappeared once more and Y/N watched in horror as the queen's temper went sky high.

"OFF WITH HER HEAD!"

Thousands of card soldiers jumped, aiming for where Alice was as they floated through the air. 

"You head what Her Majesty said," the tiny King of Hearts said. "Off with her head!" He was a stout man of little character from what Y/N could see and she wondered how he ever managed to marry the queen.

"Run Alice," Y/N whispered, rising to her seat. There was no use in calling for the girl, as there was no chance that she would hear Y/N, but that couldn't stop Y/N's lips from forming the words.

The scene in front of her melted away and Y/N felt the floor beneath her feet give way, sending her down into the dark abyss below her. Her body fell into the current of gravity, and she shut her eyes, allowing her body to fall without resistance. 

. . .

Y/N woke up to find that it was still in the middle of the night, or so the clock on her dresser said. The small blue numbers blinked and she hummed, pushing her body so that she could sit properly in the bed. A few strands of hair fell over her eys and she sighed, lifting a hand to brush them aside. 

A cool breeze stung her spine and she winced, turning to the open window. The curtains were fluttering in the cool night breeze and Y/N sighed, pushing back her covers and sliding out of bed. She threw on her robe and wrapped her arms tight around her torso as she walked over, wishing for a pair of fuzzy slippers to wear. Edurne was still fast asleep on her little pillow next to the window, and Y/N smiled at the sight of the bunny. Gently, she scooped the bunny into her arms and settled onto the plush seat next to the window, petting the rabbit absentmindedly as she stared out at the moon.

"Where do I come from," Y/N asked. It seemed like she was asking the moon. Her only answer was the rustle of the willow branches on the tree and she sighed, pressing her back against the wood behind her and leaning down to give Edurne a little kiss on the forehead.

"Y/N?"

Y/N froze when she heard her name and looked around her room, searching for the source of the voice. 

"Y/N." 

The voice wans't coming from her room, and Y/N nearly fell out of her window in shock when she saw where the voice was coming from. Standing on the lawn next to the mansion was none other than Malleus, staring up at Y/N with a kind smile. 

"Malleus," Y/N whispered. "What are you doing here?" She turned so that she could still hold Edurne while leaning out of the window. 

Malleus seemed to float up to Y/N and soon he was hovering in front of her. "I used to walk around this dorm in my early years of school here. Though I suppose that it's not abandoned any more." He glanced over to the window of the other room where he knew that Yuu and Grim were sleeping, sound asleep.