Chapter 18

Y/N's eyes fluttered open and she let out a long sigh, her eyes half shut as she stared up at the dark ceiling above her. The stone seemed cold, even though she was so far from it, and as the moonlight from outside swirled in through the glass panes, it swept across the floor like a ghost, reaching out for the bottom of Y/N's bed. 

"What is happening to me," Y/N whispered. She lifted one of her hands and pressed it to her forehead, her eyes falling shut again. She had passed out how many times in the past forty-eight hours? If it was even the same day. And how many of them had been haunted by nightmares that seemed to come from her past life, leaving her more confused by her memories. Despite the amount of sleep she was getting by all of the sudden naps, she felt anything but rested. It was as if there was a fire behind her eyelids, begging her to sleep when all she wanted was answers. 

'Perhaps the library might have the answers that I seek,' Y/N thought to herself, her hand slipping from her face and back down to her side. 

A gentle breeze blew over her body and she shivered, pulling up the thin duvet, tucking it in around her neck. That's when she realised that she no longer felt the cold that she had felt before. Her eyes opened once more and she sat up a little more, staring down at her hands. The last time she had seen them, they had looked like they had been left out overnight in the cool of winter, bringing forth crystals from the moisture within her skin. Now, they had returned to their normal appearance of her soft skin, and as a beam of moonlight passed over her skin, they seemed to sparkle.

"You're awake." 

Y/N would have jumped at the sudden voice, but she was too tired to do anything other than allow her head to just flop to the other side. Sitting beside her bed, currently rubbing his eyes, was a familiar boy, though she was unable to figure out where she had first seen him. His chocolate hair was swept over one of his shoulders, the small beads at the ends creating a sound similar to that of wind chimes blowing in an afternoon breeze. It seemed like he was still in his school uniform, though it was more casual than some of the other ones that Y/N had seen on the boys around school.

"How long have you been sitting there," she asked. 

The boy shrugged and looked over at the clock. "About fifteen minutes. I would have been here longer, but I had to go and tell the Headmaster what happened. You've been out for about an hour now." 

"An hour?!"

The boy rushed forward as he noticed the panicked look on Y/N's face, gently pressing a hand against her shoulder and holding her against the bed. He shushed her kindly, the way a friend might urge another to remain calm, and he smiled at her.

"You must rest. Your body is still recovering from your ordeal. The quicker you push it, the quicker that your sickness might return to you. And we were barely able to save you as is. Please do not put yourself back into such a condition if you can avoid it."

Y/N found herself struggling to hold onto the words that the boy said. A whisper of sleep echoed in her ears, and her eyes fought to remain open, although sleep was once again calling her.

"What's your name," she asked, her voice growing softer with each passing second. 

The boy reached out to her and took her hand in his, rubbing the back of it. "Jamil. Jamil Viper. I found you passed out and brought you here."

Y/N smiled, her eyes shooting open again, only to flutter shut. "Jamil... I like that name."

Jamil struggled to keep down the flush that threatened to creep up his cheeks. He had never had anyone tell him that they liked his name. Compliments like that were usually saved for Kalim or those who shone in the spotlight. 

[Discontinued*] The Darling Princess [A Twisted Wonderland Fanfic]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें