🥀 Chapter 29

"I tried to warn you," Y/N muttered, her chin resting in her hand. "He's been standing there for a while."

Ace glared at the girl in irritation. 

"Oh my, Riddle. You're super crazy cute today," Cater said. Y/N didn't miss the way his face seemed panicked. 

Riddle scoffed. "Cater. If you talk too much it's going to cost you your head."

Cater waved his hands around in a frenzy. "Hey now! Gimme a break!"

"Fgna! This is the guy who put that weird collar on me during the entrance ceremony!"

Y/N reached over to the cat, who was now standing on the table to glare at the short redhead and flicked him behind the ear, eliciting a short yelp. "You deserved that collar, Grim. You were being nothing but a hassle."

Riddle nodded. "You're the freshmen that caused all that fuss of expulsion yesterday. And would you knock it off? Calling someone's unique magic a 'weird collar'. For goodness sake. the headmaster is soft. If you forgive rule-breakers the whole system will collapse. All you have to do is cut the head off of those who don't follow the rules."

'I suppose there is some truth to that,' Y/N thought. She picked up Yuu's knife and placed the tip of the blade on the table, using her pointer finger to hold it up straight. 'But I think there is also strength in forgiving someone. We're human. We aren't perfect, and we won't ever be. No matter how hard we try.'

"The things coming out of his mouth don't suit his looks," Ace whispered to Deuce, eyeing the short stature and somewhat childish demeanour of his dorm leader. 

"The headmaster appears to have forgiven you but make no mistake. The next time it happens, I will not." 

"By the way, Dorm leader, is there any way you could say... remove this collar?"

Riddle crossed his arms over his chest, looking placid. "I was going to if you had learned your lesson, but... the way you were just talking shows that you haven't at all. Keep it on for a while longer." Ace looked somewhat panicked. "Don't worry," Riddle continued. "As first years you'll only be learning fundamentals, not actually using magic. You also won't be able to cause a scene like yesterday, isn't that great? Now, don't just sit around chatting away. Finish lunch and head to your next class. Laws of the Queen of Hearts, number two hundred seventy-one: 'One should eat their lunch and leave their seat within fifteen minutes. If you break the rules..." he trailed off. "I'm sure you understand." 

Ace let out a long sigh and his head fell. "Another weird rule."

Riddle glared at the boy. "The answer is 'Yes, Dorm leader'!"

"Yes, Dorm leader," Ace and Deuce yelled together, their cheeks red with panicked emotions.

"Very good." 

Trey stood up and placed a hand on Riddle's shoulder, like how an older brother would try to comfort their younger sibling. "I will look after them for you."

"You're the vice dorm leader, so I expect you to not act foolishly." Riddle then turned to Y/N. "Miss Y/N, could I speak with you for a moment?"

Y/N nodded with a smile and got up from the table, patting Yuu on the head before following the Heartslabyul leader out of the cafeteria. As she walked, she couldn't help but overhear what some of the other Heartslabyul students were whispering.

"That guy is so obnoxious."

"Did the dorm leader leave?"

"I broke the Laws of the Queen of Hearts number one hundred eighty-six: 'One must never eat a hamburger steak on Tuesday. I was terrified of what would happen if he found out I ate one."