🥀 Chapter 42

"OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!"

'And there we go,' Y/N said with a sigh, watching as the collars appeared once more, clamping tight around her friends' necks. 

Ace groaned and pulled at the collar. "S**t! We didn't even have time to get out our magic!"

"To come this far and not be able to do a thing!" 

Y/N walked over to the two, shaking her head in disappointment. "I told you that you shouldn't challenge him." She crossed her arms, and the boys soon realised that they preferred seeing her irritated or angry with them than looking at them with disappointment. 

"Strong magic comes from a strong imagination," Crowley said. "The stronger your ability to accurately imagine magic, the stronger and more effective it will be." He gestured to the other side of the meadow, where a smug Riddle was standing. "Mr Rosehearts has polished his magic to a beautiful shine."

Riddle smirked. "Huh. It didn't even take five seconds. And you thought to challenge me with those skills. Aren't you embarrassed?" His smirk fell before the boys had a chance to answer. "This just proves that rule violators are always wrong. Just as mother said."

Deuce glared at the small boy and took a daring step forward. "You're right, rules should be followed. But enforcing absurd rules just makes you a tyrant!" Y/N's arm shot out of its own accord and pulled Deuce back.

Riddle just laughed. "Ha. Rule-breaking has consequences. And in this dorm, I am the rules. Those who refuse to obey don't get to complain when I take off their head!"

"That's wrong," Yuu yelled, walking up to his friends. 

"What is wrong, is for me to decide! If you can't even follow a simple rule, just what was your education like? You were probably born from parents that can barely use magic and didn't receive much in terms of schooling before coming here. You're utterly inadequate."

Y/N watched as Yuu's face fell, his eyes pooling with tears at the thought of home. Like a sister's instinct to comfort her brother, Y/N pulled Yuu into a hug, allowing him to wrap his arms tight around her as he had earlier in the day. 

"Why you..."

"SHUT THE HECK UP!!!"

"ACE, DON'T!" 

But Y/N was too late to stop the boy as he stormed across the glade. One of his hands gripped Riddle's collar, while the other threw what Y/N might have classified as a beautiful hook if it was not for the fact that Ace sent the dorm head stumbling back into Trey's arms.

"ACE," Y/N screamed. She quickly handed Yuu over to Deuce, who seemed to be the more sensitive one in the group and ran over to Ace, catching his arm before he could punch Riddle again. 

"He punched the dorm leader!"

"He hit him right in the face with a beautiful right hook," Grim chortled, doing a little dance next to where Yuu was standing. 

Ace yanked his arm away from Y/N, glaring at her for a moment before turning back to Riddle. "I don't care. About the dorm leader, about the duel, any of it!"

Riddle clutched the side of his face where the punch had landed. "Ow... He hit me?" He stared up at Ace like he was a ghost.

"Kids aren't their parents' trophies, and kids' achievements don't determine parents' worth. The reason you're such a b*****d isn't your parent's fault. I finally understand that!"

"Ace," Y/N hissed. "Leave it!"

Ace ignored her. "You didn't make a single friend to tell you off for being a tyrant in the past year. This is your own darn fault!"