Car Theft

As requested by chicago-stories :)

Gracies POV (14 Years Old)

I huffed grumpily as I tried to ignore the craving for ice cream that was increasing by the minute. With a defeated sigh I decided to climb out of my bundle of blankets and slump to the freezer. I saw Jay sat on the sofa watching a movie but ignored him, choosing instead to head straight to the freezer in search of the sweet treat. I opened the freezer door and moved aside some of the packets, but soon I found a frown making it's way on to my forehead as it became more clear that there was no ice cream.

"Urgh" I grunted frustratedly "I hate my life" I exclaimed as I slammed the freezer door shut,

"Hey" Jay scolded as he moved his attentions away from the TV in front of him "you break that you get a job to pay for it" he warned making me huff once again "what's the matter?" he asked in a more gentle tone when he saw my stressed out state,

"I just wanted some ice cream but we're all out" I complained,

"If that's the only problem you've got going on right now I'd say you're gonna be ok" Jay said shaking his head,

"Can you take me to the store to get some?" I asked with pleading eyes,

"Gracie, it's nearly ten o'clock at night" he said seriously,

"So?" I asked not seeing what the problem was "I thought you loved me" I exclaimed with a frown making him scoff,

"I do love you Gracie" he assured with a light smile "but I'm still not driving you to the grocery store at 10pm" he repeated in a matter of fact tone making me huff,

"Fine, I'll go by myself" I shrugged, turning towards my bedroom with the intention of finding my shoes and jacket,

"You're not going by yourself" Jay stated and I stopped in my tracks,

"Then go with me" I shrieked,

"Gracelyn. I said no" he said sternly with a challenging eyebrow raised.

"Urgh" I huffed angrily "FINE" I screeched before turning on my heels and storming to my bedroom,

"You better not slam that door" I heard him yell before I had a chance to do so.

I spent the next hour or so wallowing in my own self pity when an idea popped in to my head. I'm gonna be fifteen in a couple of months and I'll get my permit then anyway...what's a couple months early? All I have to do is wait for Jay to fall asleep then find his keys. I could get to the store and back and he'll never even know! I looked at my phone and saw that it was nearly 11:30pm. Perfect! I can already hear him getting ready for bed so chances are that he's gonna be going soon anyway.

As if on cue I heard a light knock on my door and was quick to hide my phone under my duvet and close my eyes to make him believe I was already asleep. I heard him walk over to my bed and turn off my bedside lamp before pulling my duvet over my shoulders; I felt him brush some of my hair away from my face before leaning down and planting a gentle kiss on my forehead. I listened as I heard him make his way back out of my room before closing the door behind him. I breathed out a sigh of relief once I was sure he was out of earshot and decided to hold off for a few minutes before making my next move.

Twenty minutes later I was confident that Jay would be asleep. I climbed out of my bed and slipped on my Ugg boots along with my blue Chicago sweatshirt before tiptoeing out of my room and over to the kitchen. I must be mad. Trying to sneak out of the house when my brother is not only a detective, but a former Ranger. Yeah. I'm dumb. I carefully slid the keys off the kitchen counter along with my house keys before silently sneaking over to the front door. I pushed the door handle down and gasped in surprise when the keys slipped from my hands and landed on the floor with a clatter. I held my breath and waited to see if Jay had heard me. Luckily it would seem that he hadn't so I continued with my escape.